Chapter 4 - Destination: Livadia

A few weeks passed and it was August. Anastasia had settled in well with Andrei and Dasia.

She had enjoyed every minute she had spent with them although there wasn't a moment where she wouldn't think about her family, when they reminded her so much of family.

How 'Alexei would have loved this.' or 'Tatiana would just adore that necklace.' or 'Mama and Papa would love sitting here' or 'Olga would so enjoy reading that book.'

The youngest Romanov had recurring nightmares of her family's murder. She would wake up crying and drenched in sweat. And Andrei, knowing the absolute hell she had been through, was always there to comfort her.

Finally, one night while on the bridge, Anastasia confronted Andrei. "I would like to return to my Grandmama now. She lives at the Livadia Palace in the town of Livadia which is on the Crimean peninsula. Do you know where that is?"

"Yes, I've seen it on maps." 

"Good. It's been about a month since the incident. She needs to know that I am alive."

Andrei was saddened, wishing she would stay with him forever. Over the past few weeks, his crush had developed into love. 

He tried so hard to suppress his disappointment. "You must and will go to her. We'll go to the train station tomorrow and see if we can take a train to Livadia." 

The next afternoon was bittersweet. Dasia cried softly as the two prepared to leave. She placed a necklace around Anastasia's neck. The necklace chain looked to be decaying, but the heart-shaped charm seemed reasonably new.

"Thank you, Dasia. It's beautiful." Anastasia thanked her. "And thank you for letting me stay here. It has been wonderful and I know for the rest of my life, I will never forget the kindness you've shown me in a time where so many others haven't."

The weather was cloudy as Anastasia and Andrei made their way to the small train station. They traveled to the ticket booth, where few groups of people were waiting in line. When it was finally their turn to purchase, a wooden board appeared on the counter. It read, Train Tickets-Sold out.

Anastasia scoffed at the sign. "I know how to get us tickets."

She slammed her fists down on the counter. "I am the grand duch-"

"Stop!" Andrei cut her off her before she could say anymore. The old woman looked up from her book, looked at the two silently, and put her head back down.

Andrei pulled Anastasia to a bench on the platform where no one could hear their conversation. "You can't just go around saying you're a duchess!"

"But I am a duchess!" Anastasia hissed back. "An ex one but I'm certain it still means something!"

"You're supposed to be dead! We don't want anyone to know you're alive. News travels fast to Yakov. He'll hunt you down and shoot you himself."

Andrei pointed to an open boxcar in the distance. "Quick, we can still make the train."

Making sure no one spotted them, granted if anyone did they wouldn't tell, they climbed into the boxcar. They sealed the door.

Inside it was dimly dark, except for sunlight peeking through cracks in the wall. The two leaned against the wooden walls of the boxcar, ready to face the long journey ahead. Anastasia clutched her suitcase.

"How do you know if the train is going in the direction of Crimea?" she asked.

"That's the thing. We don't."

-

The train's final preparations were made, involving the stowaways hiding behind a large empty crate as the train's conductor checked all of the boxcars.

Once the train had started to go, Anastasia fell asleep, using her suitcase as a pillow. Andrei, during this time, had thought about the girl next to him. 'Will I ever see her again? I couldn't bear never seeing her again.'

Hours passed and day faded into night. Andrei stood by the open boxcar door, admiring the moon and stars that seemed to race with the trees that whirled by.

Suddenly, Andrei heard whimpering from inside the boxcar. He faced Anastasia to see her turning in her sleep.

"Mama! Papa! No! Stop! No! Please! Don't hurt her!" she cried out, her voice becoming louder. 

"NO!" With that, she woke herself up. Andrei jumped back in fear.

"They kept calling to me! They kept taunting me! I saw them! They grabbed me and tried to pull me down! They kept saying goodbye!" she told Andrei, breaths panicked, eyes darting around the boxcar.

"Who is they?"

After a few breaths, Anastasia realized, "I don't know."

"It is okay, Anastasia. You are safe. No one is here." Andrei reassured her. "Only you and me."

"I'm sorry for frightening you."

"It's alright," Andrei smiled, leaning back onto the framing of the boxcar. Moments later, Anastasia joined him.

Just then, the rows of trees disappeared as the train was crossing a tall bridge built within the mountains. Andrei and Anastasia stood next to each other, gasping at the view. The moonlight seemed to illuminate the vast river running miles below them. The stars above them glistened like diamonds. It appeared the valleys of trees were endless. Tiny specks of light represented houses scattered miles from each other. The sounds of rushing water and crickets filled the air.

"It's so beautiful." Anastasia breathed, gaze fixed on the view. "I've forgotten how beautiful Russia is."

"Through the horror, beauty prevails." Andrei whispered, glancing at Anastasia.

It was morning when Andrei and Anastasia were awoken by a few wooden crates that tumbled over. The train screeched its brakes so Andrei figured they were pulling into a station.

"Do you think we're on the right path?" Anastasia whispered, yawning.

"I don't know. Just wait until the conductors open the boxcars, then we'll make a run for it." Andrei whispered back with burgeoning excitement.

The two waited until the conductors opened the door.

Once the coast was clear, they ran.