Prologue

[ 新しい始まり ]

The sunlight poked into your eyes almost aggressively as you squinted at the bustling streets of Konohagakure in wonder, glancing around for the apartment complex you were told to stay at. Konohagakure, you decided, was a strange, scary place. People glanced at you out of interest, eyes wandering over your tall figure and your backpack. Their stares felt intrusive as if they were searching your soul for something they wanted.

You raised a hesitant hand and smiled at them. Be nice to strangers and they won't try to hunt you down. That's the rule you went by. And hopefully, it would prove the same in this village.

It really was strange, walking around in this foreign village with people who were so distant yet close by, with the smell of ramen and other foods drifting in the air. It was a nice change from your village.

"Ugh, this stupid sun. I'm going to die in a puddle of liquid me any second now." You grumbled babyishly, raising one hand to block the light with the map of Konohagakure as you tugged at your dampening shirt. "It's so hot." You moaned, beginning to slouch from the weight on your back, making you readjust your backpack, hiking it up onto your shoulders for what had to be the fifth time on your journey.

You paused in your step to take a look at the map in your hands and gasped quietly at the size. The place was humongous compared to what you imagined in your mind. You didn't expect your parents to move you to such a village.

A sudden shout interrupted your thoughts, wrenching you from your thought to the direction of a boy that was headed straight for you. He was blond. So very blond. Like a cockatoo kind of blond. You sucked in a breath and moved to the side, wincing as he crashed into a stall, cabbages flying into the air and eggplants rolling to the floor.

That was a stupid move on your part.

The stall owner cried out in anguish at the destruction.

Oh, why you? Why out of all people to pick was it you, a boy that was so foreign that even the dirt underneath his feet looked completely different. To help or not to help. The scolding tone from the store owner was getting louder with every minute and those shouts of a name that sounded strangely like "Narto". Who would ever name their kid Narto, you would never understand.

"Woah, I'm super sorry, I-" The boy rushed into an apology as he frantically stood up, making a grab all of the fallen vegetables sprawled out over the dirt path.

"No, stop! Leave them alone, you've already done enough damage as it is, boy!" The owner's horrified voice yelled out, gaining attention from the nearby audience. Suddenly all the noise seemed to have been sucked out of the crowd and was instead replaced by whispers and sharp glares. Everyone's expression darkened at the mere sight of the boy.