Building Happiness

*Charlotte's POV*

I haven't even been home for days. I told my mom I was with Sophie, but I've been crashing at a hotel, crying and crying for hours. Matthew told me I couldn't tell anyone, but I have to tell Sophie. Plus, who would Sophie tell? We only have each other, and I'd trust her with my life as would she. I walk up to her doorstep and unlock her door with the key i have. Sophie's on the couch watching the vampire diaries, and then she looks at me. She pauses the TV and we immediately both got up and ran and hug each other. Both of us were crying and laughing at the same time, and I've never known how much I needed this hug more than I did right now. "I'm sorry Soph." I said still red eyed. She smiled and hugged me again. "Don't worry about it. Friends forever, remember." She replied teasing me. We both sat on the couch catching up with each other, even though it's only been a couple of days. A couple of days for us is like an eternity. After awhile of talking and laughing, and also me chugging down water from dehydration, she gets a bit more serious. "So... What was is you were keeping from me?" Sophie hesitantly asked. I bit my lip and played with a loose steam of hair from my messy bun. I took a deep breath, and began to tell. "Well Sophie.. You know Matthew Espinosa, like, my forever YouTube crush?" I asked. She nodded up and down really fast and fangirled about his looks for a second. I gave a sad laugh at the memories of him, and I felt the tears coming again, but I bit my lip even harder to force them back. I explained to her how we met up in secret, and all the info. But, I didn't tell her about his parents. "Wait wait wait- you- are DATING Matthew Espinosa??!!" She shrieked. Sophie danced around in circles around me expecting me to get up, but I put my head in my hands and cried. I know I didn't tell her about me- splitting it off- but hearing her say we're dating hurt my heart so much. Each second that's past without Matthew, my heart has shattered over and over again. They say time eventually heals all wounds, but this is a fresh wound every day. Was Matthew as upset as I was? Was he in love with me as much as I was in love with him? The excitement in Sophie's eyes faded and she sat down next to me. "Charlotte... What's wrong?" It took every bit of my breath to tell her this. "We uh- a-aren't together anymore." I stuttered. She put her arm around me in a best friend comforting way, the way we always do that to each other when we're upset. "Why?" She asked. I sniffled and continued. "Well I couldn't tell anyone, and when you left me... I had to break it off." More tears fell from my eyes and the feeling of loss swept over me. Sophie's head dropped and her eyes turned sad. "Oh my gosh Charlotte. I'm so sorry. If I would've known... Why couldn't you tell me, anyways?" She asked with a facial expression I couldn't read. I briefly explained Matthew's story, and cried for the trillionth time, remembering the scars on his back. Who could do that to him? He's so precious, why would anyone, especially his parents, hurt him? After a long moment of silence, Sophie got up and took my hand. "What are you waiting for? Go back for him." She told me. I looked at her confused, then it all made sense. I broke it off because I couldn't tell Sophie, but now... A smile grew across my face and I hugged Sophie tight. "Thank you." I said in almost a whisper. "But Sophie.. Don't tell anyone, I mean anyone about what I told you." I said. She swore and smiled, then i was on my way.