Summit Series (AU Idea)

^Famous photograph of Paul Henderson after "The Goal" by Frank Lennon 

----------------

Some, background before I begin (please bare with me. it's going to be educational. That's why I came to this fandom in the first place, and I plan to help teach others history through fiction)

For those who aren't Canadian or know of/watched older Canadian hockey, the Summit Series, or simply known at the time as the Canada-USSR Series, was an eight-game series of ice hockey between Canada and the Soviet Union in September of 1972.

Back in the 1960's the Soviet Union had emerged as a major force in the realm of ice hockey in both the Olympics and various other international competitions. A majority of North American hockey fans deemed this as a result of some backward, loophole scam that the Russian were pulling. (it wasn't...) 

In those days, professional North American hockey players in the NHL were not allowed to compete in international competitions. This mainly came from the perfectly sound, 100% correct, fact-checked logic of the NHL, who said that international sports were reserved exclusively for amateur's. 

So for some Commie reason or another, everything in the Soviet Union worked back-asswards compared to the West, and their "amateur" players were the ones who played hockey the best, full-time and internationally.

Thus the creation of the Summit Series of 1972. A special one-off tournament to allow the world's two greatest hockey nations to compete, as they had never done so before. Canadian NHL professionals to play against the Soviet "amateurs". Where this competition would be seen as much more of a "fair fight" then what other previous international competitions had offered for the Soviets. 

Despite lots of initial Canadian cockiness, the competition was not resolved swiftly. Instead it was dragged out for seven games with the Canadians winning 3, the Russians winning 3 and one tie game. This would make the final game, game eight, super exciting and important for both teams and the countries behind them. The game would end up being very close which only made things more tense and exciting. With the score tied and only 34 seconds to go, a Canadian named Paul Henderson scored the winning goal and clinched the tournament for Canada. 

The photograph (Photo above) taken of Paul's on-ice moment of celebration after "The Goal" and being hugged by one of the other players would windup being the iconic image of the entire Summit Series. It was heavily sentimentalized and widely reproduced for posters, art, nick-knacky memorabilia, and a coin of course. We Canadians love our special coins. (or in the very least I do)

Although the Summit Series is still seen as important, it is usually seen now-a-days as "merely memories for Boomer's". This is partly because there have been a number of other significant 'sports things' that younger Canadians are more likely to sentimentalize and resonate with. Some possibly being when Canada won the gold in hockey at the 2010 Winter Olympics that were hosted in Vancouver, BC or when the blue jays won the world series in 1992. Nevertheless the Summit Series was, and still is, a very memorable part to both Canada's history and the world of Canadian sport. It was certainly a better alternative to threatening each other with assured nuclear destruction.

----------------

Okay, done. FINALLY! 

I'm pretty sure that your tired of history and learning, so were done for the rest of this chapter. (yay!)

So, this is what I want to do a story on.

A story about the hockey games between Canada and Soviet during the Summit Series.

It will probably be heavily based off/quite similar to the story 'Battle of The Blades' by xXCanadainHoneyyXx

They are both about hockey, hockey tournaments, rivalries and the works. The only difference will be that mine will have a better chance of getting shite from people because mine would be posted long after theirs. I cry...  ;-;

Much like theirs, mine will mainly focus on the characters interaction both in and out of the games, but it will also have bits and pieces about the cold war and its effects (mostly on Canada and the other main characters like Russia and America. I know that the Soviet's influence was a lot larger than that, but I do not believe that I can do all of it the justice it deserves). We're dealing with the Soviet Union here, it could mean death for any country that willingly choses to cross paths with him.

I don't know when I will start working on this (or if I ever will), but I know that it is something that I want to work on sooner or later.

--------------

Words: 782 (not including footnote)

Stay safe, eat your vegetables, and realize that you mean the absolute world to someone. Please give yourself some love.

Cheers, Nimbus