A New Friend

Nightmare wasn't sure how to describe the scene before him. He had been wandering the halls, avoiding classes all together. He didn't have much care for learning from some human, let alone attend a class with his brother. The thought was sickening. Still, he hadn't been expecting anything interesting to happen. At least not until he heard the ear piercing scream.

He had followed the sounds, expecting simple bullying. Boy was he wrong! The smell of blood was strong and the eerie silence was terrifying. The once noisy screams had fell deathly silent. Nightmare could see why. Blood was everywhere in the bathroom. Limbs were torn apart, some monster dust coating the floor. A massacre had happened.

Death wasn't new to Nightmare, but he never expected the negativity that oozed from the slumped over figure. The skeleton was small in size, unconscious. Nightmare slowly crept over, avoiding stepping in the red liquid. Last thing he needed was fingers pointed his way. As a designated 'bad guy' blame was easy to pin on him. Snapping from his thoughts he reached for the skeleton. Water clung to his clothes as he leaned against the toilet. The sight painted a clear image for Nightmare. He didn't blame the new guy for murdering someone if his life was on the line.

He carefully reached down before picking up the new student. He had heard from Error about a 'challenge' between Dream's group and his. It sounded fun, so he accepted to join. He never expected to have the trophy so close to him. The more he looked at the new student, he could understand why so many were drawn to him. His features were so innocent, unblemished. He was like a polished jewel everyone wished to own. The thought brought a crooked smile to Nightmare as he laughed low. He trailed from the bathroom, sure to avoid detection. Maybe he'd get a head start in the game, without the other's knowing! He laughed louder as he hurried toward his room, the new student still unconscious.

Classic wasn't sure how long he had been out. He had remembered the bullies, but everything was a mystery after he was almost drowned. One thing he knew was that he was in new place. The bed was comforting and the clothes hung loosely to his body. A sure sign they were not his own. Panic hit him as he glanced around, a voice stopping him in his tracks.

"Take it easy. You're in my room, so relax." Classic turned to the voice before he felt a small smile creep over his expression. 

"What happened? I don't remember much, only drowning..." The figure nodded as he rose from the chair. He crept slowly toward the bed before sitting in front of Classic. He studied the new student, leaving Classic uncomfortable.

"How to put it... You killed about five people I think... That's a lot honestly! It sure shocked me that someone so seemingly delicate could cause so much damage while having their magic sealed." Classic turned away, his eyes narrowing. Tears were gathering as he spoke low. His voice was broken in a sense, leaving a slight pain in Nightmare. 

"I didn't kill them..." Nightmare raised his eyebrow before sighing heavily.

"I figured. Who did then?" 

"You wouldn't believe me." There was a long silence before Nightmare rubbed his head.

"Look new kid, I need you to trust me here. I need to know who did it so I can avert the attention from you. I'm aware you haven't killed someone, otherwise I'd sense it. Look, I'm not going to hurt you, okay?" Classic nodded before he laid back down on the bed. The action caught Nightmare slightly off guard. He remained silent, awaiting Classic's response.

"Classic." 

"Huh?" Classic frowned, which Nightmare thought was adorable.

"Name's Classic, not kid." He raised his hands defensively before froze up. Fingers touched on of his tentacles, his eyes dropping to Classic. The skeleton stared at them with sheer amazement, causing a chuckle to slip from Nightmare.

"You're a strange one." Classic pushed his head up, acting snobbish.

"Says the one who looks like an octopus!" 

"Excuse me? I don't think I heard you correctly..." Classic stuck his tongue out before he clasped his arms around the tentacle. Nightmare sighed but watched as Classic snuggled against it. It brought a genuine smile to his face. Classic was one of the few who approached him without fear. It was nice at times.

"Thank you for saving me." 

"I wasn't just going to leave you, plus the others would kill me if you got placed in jail and kicked out of the school." Classic widened his eyes, his head nodding in agreement.

"That's true. If I was gone, they wouldn't have that 'competition'." 

"You knew?" Classic acted shocked, a slight gasp leaving him.

"Whatever do you mean? I am entirely lacking in that knowledge!" Nightmare laughed as he turned his head away slightly. "I overheard your brother and Error while they assumed I was sleeping." 

"You were awake?" Classic nodded silently.

"I almost never sleep. It's not like I choose to stay awake, I just can't sleep." Nightmare looked to the ceiling before he nodded in response.

"I know the feels! Try living with an annoying brother who only talks about positive stuff and never knows when to shut up!" 

"Yeah... I learned that one already. At least you have it easy. You can always ignore him, walk away, or simply avoid him. I'm not so lucky..." Nightmare gave a worried look before Classic continued. "Having your dead father haunt you isn't always easy. He's the one who killed them, probably to protect me..."

"Damn. That sounds kind of cool." Nightmare noticed Classic stare at him as if he had three heads. He gave a nervous chuckle before Classic spoke once more.

"He's the reason I'm here. I was getting mugged one day and he killed everyone. World's pretty shit out there." Nightmare agreed silently as Classic fell silent. "Guess I'm broken, huh?"

"Everyone in this damn school is broken in some way. My brother and his friends, the geek trio started a war in their old school. The building was destroyed in a single day. It got them locked up here for life, especially since there were casualties."

"Oh gosh... That's rough for the victims. Guess wrong place, wrong time!" Nightmare grinned as he noticed Classic watching him. He shifted nervously. "What about you?"

"Well, I murdered my entire street just cause they had bullied me in the past. Got caught rather easy. Most of my friends were already shipped to this hell hole, so I wanted to join them. No point in remaining in the real world where none of my close family exist." Classic frowned as he let go of the tentacle. Nightmare hadn't noticed Classic approach until it was too late. Arms wrapped around him as he was pulled into a hug. Normally he would fight it, but a part of him was welcoming the gentle touch from Classic.

"Family is important, I should know. My brother is outside the school grounds, but he's strong and will wait for me. I'm sure someday we can break you all out and go live a normal life again!" Nightmare widened his eyes before pulling away from Classic.

"Everyone?" Classic nodded as he smiled. For some reason Nightmare trusted Classic's words. Something in his soul yearned for the emotions Classic brought about. When he spoke about the future, hope flooded Nightmare. "I'll hold you to that Classic." 

"Wouldn't expect anything else!" Nightmare sighed before he allowed Classic to snuggle close to him. He wrapped his tentacle around him, his hand pulling the blanket over both of them. He leaned against the wall as he listened to Classic's gentle snores. A smile played over his features as he trailed a finger along Classic's cheek. 

"Sleep well Classic." He received a slight nod before he too drifted to sleep. He felt completely relaxed. At peace. It was a good feeling.