xiii - music to my ears

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈:
          music to my ears...

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈:          music to my ears

... november 6, 1993

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐂𝐊 that followed nova for the next minute had caused the girl to become speechless— leaving her lost in her thoughts as her unfocused eyes traveled over to the young boy who lay unconscious on the grass, teammates and professors all towering over the forest-eyed boy.

she clutched the piece of paper that lay in her hand tighter, her nails digging through the smooth layer of the parchment. she didn't notice how the ink bled through the back of the paper the more she ripped it, the murky black liquid streaming out of the rips on the paper, staining her palms and seeping their way into her fingernails.

"you alright there?" a voice suddenly jolted behind the girl.

she immediately recoiled, bringing the paper behind her back so the intruder wouldn't be able to read it's contents— she not knowing the evidence was already gone.

"yeah," she breathed out, whipping her head around.

there, crouched in an uncomfortable position was professor lupin. his eyes were passionate, confusion filling his expression as he watched the girl fidget nervously underneath his gaze, she unable to meet his eyes. nova stared at the bottom of the professor's robes, eyeing the mud splattered across his not-so-shiny black leather shoes.

just as she were about to pry her eyes away from the professor's shoes, something white caught her eye. she did a double take and saw a bandage peeking out of the corner of his pants, the dried blood contrasting against the pearly white gauze that wrapped around the tops of his ankle. 

her gaze flicked back up momentarily to the professor's face, she being able to catch the tired droop of the man's eyes before she quickly looked away. 

the professor didn't seem to acknowledge the fact that the girl saw his bandages, he looking over nova's shoulders to watch as harry was being carried away off the field— the hufflepuff seeker talking animatedly with the defeated gryffindor keeper.

"would you like to join me for a cup of tea again?" lupin consoled towards the young girl.

she shook her head. "but harry-" she began to croak out.

"harry is in excellent hands," lupin interrupted. "in fact, he's already been moved off of the pitch, see?" remus gestured towards the almost-empty field where the raven-haired boy had been no where in sight.

nova whipped her head back around, she forgetting about the ink-stained parchment, as she slapped her hands on the dirt floor— the professor eyeing her black hands warily.