chapter 12- All Work, No Play

your pov:

I wake up with Spencer's arm around my body. I nuzzle into him softly until I realize we have work in a few hours. (yes ik I never actually said a day but it's Monday now, okay? lol)
I sit up quickly and cover myself with Spencer's comforter. "Wha-" Spencer starts.
"We have to leave in an hour!" I say and get up, grab the clothes I'd taken the previous day, and run into the bathroom to change. We have to leave earlier so I can change into my own clothes and not go to work in Spencer's hoodie and boxers. I throw on my bra, Reid's Washington DC hoodie, his boxers, and a pair of sweatpants I stole from him as well.
I splash cold water on my face before using some concealer and mascara I keep in my purse. Luckily my skin is pretty even right now. I pull my hair back into a sleek low pony, and head out the door.
Spencer is standing, already dressed in a light blue button up, black pants, and dirty converse. He throws on a dark gray cardigan before we both leave his place. "You look so cute in your work clothes," Spencer says.
"Haha real funny."
Since his car is still at the BAU, I drive us in mine. It takes slightly over an hour. Luckily for me, we left in time for me to change when we get to work.
He holds my hand on the way in and even in the elevator. I pull my hand back when the doors open and we're on our floor. I feel him slightly flinch beside me.
We're the first ones on our floor. I rush into my office without another word and close the blinds. Rushing, I grab my 'go bag' and throw on the black jeans, black flats, and pink blouse I had in there.
I hear footsteps outside my office and JJ's voice asking if I was here yet.
"She's changing," Spencer says quickly.
"She's changing?" Garcia asks. Before she can say anything else, I step out of my office and start the coffee pot.
JJ and Garcia both raise their eyebrows at me when I turn to them. A flush starts to creep up on my cheeks.
"I'm gonna go answer some emails," I say awkwardly and turn away. Spencer just stands there with his hands in his pockets.
JJ and Garcia both follow me to my office.
"Why are you changing at work?"
"And why does Reid look so awkward?" JJ chimes in.
"I uh- I don't know. Spence is always awkward."
"Is that his sweatshirt?" Garcia points to Spencer's hoodie hanging on my desk chair.
"I was cold," I say. Which makes sense considering it's an early October morning.
Emily sees us in my office and joins in.
"Is this an interrogation?" she asks.
"Feels like one," I say with a sigh.
"Oh come on, Y/n. Why are you being so secretive?" Garcia wiggles her eyebrows.
"I'm not being-"
"Briefing room, now," Hotch says, peeking his head through the door. Thank God for him.
Hotch briefs us on a case that came directly to him instead of me and JJ. We have to fly out to Oregon. There's been a series of murders around the state.
I'm thankful I have another set of clothes in my go bag when Hotch says "Wheels up in 30."
I turn back to my office and I hear Rossi say, "Agent Y/l/n."
"Yes sir?"
"Glad to have you back on the field."
"Thank you, Rossi. Hopefully this time it's for good." I smile.
He winks at me and I make my way back to my office and open the blinds back up. I answer a few emails on my computer before boarding the plane. I sit with JJ and Morgan while the lovely Penelope Garcia talks to us about the victims from a laptop.

We arrive at the precinct outside of Portland, and immediately get to work. I work with Prentiss and Hotch on victimology while Morgan and Reid check out the latest crime scene. JJ and Rossi do some interviewing.
"Boy, girl, boy, girl..." I whisper to myself.
"What was that, agent?"
"I was just noting that every other victim was a male then female. Could be some sort of pattern?"
"Maybe he's bisexual?" Emily suggests.
"Every male is around the same age, same goes for the women," Hotch says. "This could be a sexual thing, yeah."
"The men seem to be killed in a certain away, not the same as the girls," I note. "He stabbed the men and strangled the women."
"It's strange for our unsub to change the way he kills everytime."
"Do you think they're two different killers?" Emily asks.
"Oddly, no. I don't."

Spencer and Derek come back sometime after and we pin the locations of each murder.
"We're in the middle of it. It makes a circle." I point in the middle of the pins on the map that Spencer just poked through. Our shoulders bump and I feel sparks, I know he can too. Not the time,
Y/l/n, I think.
"Something could be tying him here. That's why he stays in Oregon and all the locations surround Portland," he says.

"We're looking for a white male, estimated to be around five feet ten inches. Mid to late thirties. He seems closed off and makes himself try to appear smaller. Both men and women are most likely to make him uncomfortable, so he avoids eye contact and holding conversations," I say to the press. "He yearns to be in control, and he knows his sexual and murderous urges are wrong."
When I'm done, JJ catches up to me and tells me I did good. I haven't done this in a while since I'm not just a liaison, but a normal profiler as well. I smile at her nervously and we walk back to the team.

(not me not wanting to write a whole episode of criminal minds again haha. anyway, time skip)

I wake up with a nudge at my side. We're back in Quantico, and it's time to get off the plane. I look at Emily with a look that says 'I was sleeping good.'
We caught the killer earlier. It took a few hours, and it's only 1am right now.
All of us go back into the BAU and do what we need to do, paper work and all that jazz.
"I could so go for some pancakes right now," Morgan says spinning around in his chair with his hand on his stomach.
"Ooh yes I'm starving," I admit and Emily nods beside me.
"Who's all coming?"
Before I go to grab my purse and go bag (that I need to put clothes in), Spencer pulls me away from them.
"Good work today," he says.
"You too, Dr. As always."
"Do you wanna go back to my place?"
"Spencer," I sigh. "We have work tomorrow, and... and I don't think it's a good idea to be together. We work together, I'm a part of this team and I can't jeopardize that by feeding into my feelings for you. I'm sorry, Spence, but I think it's just wrong." My stomach churns as the words spill out of my mouth. His face flinches backwards, and it kills me even more.
He turns away from me without saying a word.
"Pretty boy, you coming along?" Morgan asks, and Spencer just shakes his head and leaves.
"What was that about?" Garcia asks me as we walk to our cars.
"With Spencer? He just said he was tired," I lie and pain shoots at my heart.
I did the right thing. I think.
Emily, Derek, Garcia, and I eat at an all night diner. They help me get my mind off of what just happened. JJ went home to her kids, and Rossi said he was too tired for more social interaction, and of course Hotchner stayed at work a while longer; that crazy man never sleeps.
After I get back home, I pack some new clothes in my go bag and take a hot shower. I crawl into bed with droopy eyes. I am so freaking tired.
My job is more important than a relationship. If our bosses found out, what would they say? Would they not want us working together anymore? Were Spencer and I ever even official? All I know is that I need this job, I love this job and I can't lose it over some boy. But Dr Spencer Reid isn't just some boy is he?

1434 words! hope you enjoy<3 stay tuned for more! also I have another story called "not so innocent" if you wanna check that out🥺