Nosy...

Two weeks later...

She came back, popping at an unusual time without quite looking for him. He watched her from afar as she left a coin in the little box and alighted a candle. The flickering light illuminated her lovely features, bringing the fire out of her reddish hair. For a while, she just sat there, and he wondered if she was waiting for him, or if he should keep away. Usually, she swept the church in search of him rather than stubbornly sit.

Leaving the decision to her – especially today – father Tristan busied himself at setting back the decoration on the altar after his morning sermon. As of yet, Frances had never assisted to mass. Given her atheism, it wasn't so strange. The young woman eventually came to a decision, and circled the area where a few people prayed to come and greet him. Father Tristan bit his lip; how was she going to react ?

— "Good morning, father Tristan"

Too late to hide now. The priest turned around to face her, and the young woman inhaled sharply. Her wide eyes stared at him, a worried frown scrunching her eyebrows as she lifted her hand... and retracted it at once.

— "My goodness, what happened to you ?", she asked, appalled.

Father Tristan was grateful that the 'incident', had happened five days prior, for the swelling had greatly diminished. Given her state of flustering, she might have had a mighty fit. Still, his bandaged nose had gathered some pretty concerned look all morning.

— "Erm. An altercation at the youth house. Nothing to worry about"

— "Is it broken ?"

There was a slight pause, and Frances' eyes narrowed at him. Daring him to lie or disminish the wound. Right now, she seemed ready to bite someone's head off and he marvelled at the gleam of wrath hidden behind her warm irises. Better to soothe her now.

— "Just a little. But it's all right now."

— "Are you sure ?"

Father Tristan shrugged; the pain was but a dull ache now.

— "Yes. I've been through the predicament before, it will be fine in a few weeks. There's no need to fret"

An incredulous expression fleeted over her face, and she lifted a playful eyebrow.

— "Well, if that's a habit then it's fine, right ?"

Ah, sarcasm. Most refreshing. A smile tugged at his lips, and the priest fought to keep it from pulling at the broken appendage.

— "So what happened, really ?", she asked more gently.

— "There seem to be a gang waiting for some of my protégés after the Tai-Chi class. My pleas for peace remained unheard, hence the scuffle."

The look in her face grew more assertive, the 'brace for impact' moment left behind as she eyed him suspiciously.

— "Any damage other than your nose ?"

Tristan pursed his lips.

— "The kids are mainly fine."

The young woman nodded in acknowledgment. Had she noticed how deviously he had deviated the question from himself ?

— "Good. How about you ?"

Of course... she had noticed ! Tristan refrained from smiling as he responded to her obvious worry.

— "A few bruises, and the collar of my frock. I could sew the buttons again, and have to find a way to mend the tear."

Frances' features relaxed then, satisfied with her questioning.