The invisible line

Hey, short chapter here because the next is huge and I'm trying to review it properly.

Time flew, and Christmas was spend slaving over her work for the January exams. She had not dared buying a present to Father Tristan, albeit she really wanted to. It felt... too personal. Like crossing an invisible line. She had left in a hurry before the holidays, wishing him well, the burden of the upcoming months heavy upon her shoulders. Fortunately, a week spend in a ski resort with her parents had given her the fuel to go on. Bless them for this fantastic idea; there was nothing like watching father Christmas descending the steepest slopes with his suite of torchbearers.

The second week was spent with her head into books with a slight pause to spend new Years' eve with her boyfriend. Needless to say that she didn't feel like uprooting herself from home at the beginning of January. The only light in the horizon; knowing that father Tristan would relieve the burden with his support when she would step foot in church. Unfortunately, she only had time to visit once, then the swirl of impossible schedule carried her away from her newfound stability. France's own little hell lasted at least three more weeks. Exams, classes, revision, team meeting, exams... When it eventually finished at the end of January, all tests passed, all dossiers wrapped up, she couldn't resist a week end back home. She returned with a set of her favourite chocolate treats.

An apology for being absent for so long. Since December, she had visited only once and rambled about the stupidity of squeezing her within an inch of exhaustion. The schedule had been hell, and she knew it would take a tremendous amount of time for her to recover from it. This very week end, she planned to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. So it was with a renewed spring in her step that she passed the church's doors on Thursday afternoon, the bag of chocolates nestled in her holdall handbag. She awaited for father Tristan for quite some time; he was busy with an elderly woman in need of a sympathetic ear. She didn't mind; for once, doing nothing was just so fantastic. At last, she had the luxury to keep space for her own thoughts. Frances closed her eyes, and let the calm music soothe her aching back, plunging into a meditative trance.

— "Hello, Frances. I hope you have not waited for too long"

— "Oh no, I was quite happy to have time with my thoughts. You never know how precious it is until you loose that space in your head"

The priest's countenance seem to falter a moment, but his smooth voice didn't.

— "I thank you for your patience nonetheless", he said kindly.

She couldn't possibly let him apologize for doing his job. If anything, she was the one intruding; since she never came to mass and wasn't a parishioner, she sometimes felt guilty for taking his time. Yet, he didn't seem to mind.

— "This is what you do, Father Tristan. Take care of your parishioners. Your calling takes precedence over the rest. It is I, who thank you for your presence by my side in the moments I need support."

His eyes softened as he gave an imperceptible bow; his way of acknowledging her thanks.

— "You are very welcome"

Feeling a little stressed – she didn't know how he would react – Frances opened her bag.

— "There, I have something for you"

A very faint eyebrow – there were strangely blond – lifted upon his forehead, betraying his intrigue.

— "Another movie ?"

— "No, a more substantial bribe"

Frances nearly blushed as she fished the shiny red packet and deposited it in his hands.