The Fall of Thorin Oakenshield

"Gandalf, who is that? He doesn't look very happy."Bilbo asked Gandalf when he saw Dain's army coming over the hill.
"He is Dain, Lord of the Iron Hills. Thorin's cousin." Gandalf replied.
"Are they alike?" Bilbo asked.
"I've always found Thorin the more reasonable of the two." Gandalf sighed.Dain and his army from the Iron Hill have just arrived; Dain is riding a pig.
"Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition, if ye wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of yer time. Would ye consider... JUST SODDING OFF?! All of you! Right now!" Dain roared at the army set out before him.
"Stand fast!" Bard told his army of men.
"Come now, Lord Dain."Gandalf exclaimed to Dain.
"Gandalf the Grey. Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood!" Dain demanded.
"There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men, and Elves. A legion of Orcs march on the Mountain. Stand your army down." Gandalf tried to reason with Dain.
"I will not stand down before any Elf." Dain said looking at Thranduil, "Not least this faithless woodland sprite. He wishes nothing but ill upon my people! If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then!" The Dwarves in the mountain cheer.
"He's clearly mad. Like his cousin."Thranduil mockingly says.
"You hear that, lads? We're on! Let's give these bastards a good hammering!" Dain tells his army.
"Since when do we forsake our own people? Thorin, they are dying out there." Dwalin asked confronting Thorin over his obsession with the Arkenstone, trying to reason with him to help Dain.
"There are halls beneath halls within the Mountain, places we can fortify. Shore up, make safe? Yes. Yes, that is it. We must move the gold further underground to safety." Thorin mumbled to himself.
"Did you not hear me? Dain is surrounded. They're being slaughtered, Thorin."Dwalin tried again. Rhiannon had told him to try to help Dain. She thought since Dwalin and Thorin went way back that Thorin might listen to him.
"Many die in war, life is cheap. But a treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost. It is worth all the blood we can spend." Thorin finally said.
"You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." Dwalin yelled.
"Do not speak to me as if I were some lowly dwarf lord..." Thorin spat, his voice beginning to break, "as if I were still Thorin... Oakenshield..." Thorin drew his sword,enraged and continued, "I am your KING!"
"You were always my King. You used to know that once. But you cannot see what you have become." Dwalin said, his voice breaking.
"Go. Get out... before I kill you." Thorin demanded. Dwalin tearfully leaves. Rhiannon stood behind a piller not that far from where Dwalin and Thorin were talking. Rhiannon sighed and decided to run after Dwalin.
"I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!!"Kili yelled, "It is not in my blood, Thorin."
"No, it is not. We are sons of Durin. And Durin's Folk do not flee from a fight."Thorin and Kili smile at each other, touch their foreheads together and they walk over to the rest of the company, "I have no right to ask this of any of you... but will you follow me one last time?"
"My Lord, disperse this force to Ravenhill. The Dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned." Gandalf told Thranduil.
"By all means, warn him. I've spent enough Elvish blood in defense of this accursed land. No more!"Thranduil says walking off.

"Thranduil?"Gandalf asked a little confused. "I'll go." Bilbo volunteered. "Don't be ridiculous, you'll never make it." Gandalf persisted. "Why not?" Bilbo asked. "Because they will see you coming, and kill you!" Gandalf replied. "No, they won't. They won't see me." Bilbo explained confidently. "It's out of the question. I won't allow it." Gandalf said stubbornly. "I'm not asking you to allow it, Gandalf." Bilbo sighed as he turned and left. He then puts on the One Ring and goes off to Ravenhill to warn Thorin.As Thranduil and his remaining forces leave Dale in the midst of the battle, Tauriel stands in their way. "You will go no further." Tauriel says in Elvish and then in English continued, "You will not turn away. Not this time." "Get out of my way." Thranduil glared. "The dwarves will be slaughtered." Rhiannon explained, steeping out from behind a building with her bow raised ready to fire at any minute. "Yes, they will die. Today, tomorrow, one year hence, a hundred years from now. What does it matter? They're mortal." Thranduil smirks. Tauriel aims her bow and arrow at Thranduil, who looks on in shock. "You think your life is worth more than theirs, when there is no love in it. There is no love in you!" Tauriel spats. Thranduil hesitates, then swiftly and mercilessly cuts Tauriel's bow in half. Rhiannon furrows her brow and lets her arrow fly, but just as quick Thranduil ducks and raises his sword to Tauriel's face and smirks, "What do you know of love? Nothing! What you feel for that dwarf is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?"
Legolas deflects Thranduil's blade and defends Tauriel. In Elvish Legolas explains firmly, " If you harm her...you will have to kill me." Thranduil lowers his head in sadness at his son's defiance; Legolas turns to Tauriel and Rhiannon and says, "I will go with you."
Thorin has killed Azog and is mortally wounded; Bilbo regains consciousness and rushes to Thorin's aid. "Bilbo!" a relieved Thorin exclaimed.
"Don't move, don't move. Lie still." Bilbo says before seeing Thorin's wound, "Oh!"
"I'm glad you're here." Thorin smiled.
"Shhhh..." Bilbo urged.
"I wish to part from you in friendship."Thorin explained.
"No, you... you are not going anywhere, Thorin. You're going to live." Bilbo urged.
"Thorin!" Rhiannon shouted as she ran up to Bilbo and Thorin. She put her hand on top of Thorin's head.
"I would take back my words and my deeds at the gate. You did what only a true friend would do. Forgive me. I was too blind to see it. I am so sorry... that I led you into such peril." Thorin explained before looking over at Rhiannon. (Who by the way had started to cry by this time)
"No, I'm- I'm glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin. Each and every one of them. It is far more than any Baggins deserves." Bilbo slightly laughed.
"Rhiannon, I just want you to know that I will always love you no matter what. I will always be in your heart", Thorin says before turning to Bilbo and says, "Farewell... master burglar. Go back to your books... and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people... valued home... above gold... this world would be a merrier place." Thorin dies shortly after.
"No! No no no no no, Thorin. Don't you dare."Bilbio cried, quietly he adds, "No Thorin. No no no no. Hold on. You see, the eagles, the eagles, the eagles are here. Thorin." Bilbo weeps desperately. Rhiannon's face goes a ghostly white as she stares out into space completely unaware of Bilbo talking to her.
"I cannot go back." Legolas says about his defiance, in defense of Tauriel.
"Where will you go?" Thranduil asks.
"I do not know."Legolas simply says.
"Go to the North. Find the Dunedain. There is a young Ranger among them you should meet. His father, Arathorn, was a good man. His son might turn out to be a great one." Thranduil explains to his son.
"What is his name?" Legolas asks out of curiosity.
"He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name, you must discover for yourself." Thranduil replies.
"They want to bury him." Tauriel says weeping over Kili's body.
"Yes." Thranduil says plainly.
"If this is love, then I do not want it. Take it from me. Please. Why does it hurt so much?" Tauriel asks.
"Because it was real." Thranduil sadly says.Tauriel, with tears in her eyes, kisses Kili.
After the battle; everyone paid respect to the King under the Mountain. "There is to be a great feast tonight. Songs will be sung, tales will be told, and Thorin Oakenshield will pass into legend." Balin tells Bilbo.
"I know that's how you must honor him, but to me he was never that. He was..." Bilbo says,getting choked up, "To me... he was... Well, I think I'll slip quietly away, will you tell the others I said goodbye?"
"You'll tell them yourself."Balin explains as Bilbo turns around to see all the dwarves,including Rhiannon, at the gate.
"Uh, if any of you are ever passing Bag End, uh... tea is at four, there's plenty of it. You are welcome anytime."Bilbo explains as they all bow to him, "Oh ah... don't bother knocking.The dwarves laugh softly; Gandalf chuckles, and Bilbo and Gandalf leave, as the dwarves and Rhiannon watch in sadness.
"Ahh, the borders of the Shire. It is here I must leave you." Gandalf told Bilbo as they traveled back for Erebor to the Shire.
"That's a shame. I quite like having a wizard around. Seems they bring good luck." Bilbo laughed slightly.
"You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck? Magic rings should not be used lightly, Bilbo. Don't take me for a fool, I know you found one..." Gandalf explained to Bilbo.
"No..."Bilbo said taken by surprise.
"In the goblin tunnels and I've kept my eye on you ever since." Gandalf explained further.
"Well, thank goodness" Bilbo smiles, extends his hand "Farewell, Gandalf."
"Farewell." Gandalf and Bilbo shake hands and part; Bilbo walks, then stops, and turns back.
"You, uh... you needn't worry about that ring, it fell out of my pocket during the battle. I lost it." Bilbo stuttered.
"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins. And I'm very found of you. But you're only quite a little fellow... in a wide world after all." Gandalf smiles.

Note: Still have one more chapter left. Stay tuned for the next and final chapter of this story:) Thank you all for the reads and the hearts on this story.