𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚗𝚎

𝙹𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜

Riding skateboard really calms me down. Seriously, is there anything that is more refreshing and perfect for just shutting down your own mind for a bit? I guess I'm just the easy type. I don't need much to be satisfied, just my skateboard and the fresh air around me.

It is Sunday evening and I love days like these. I'm riding down the street of my hometown, Reading in Pennsylvania, while I focus on the street. But actually, there is no need for that because the street is empty as hell, even on the sidewalks. Except from one or two people who are walking with their dogs, nobody is there who catches my attention.

Where I'm going? I don't know. But it doesn't matter because I always find a place where I stop just so I can simply make a short break and sit down for a bit. This time it is the playground. I stop and grab my skateboard and sit down on one of the rusty old swings. I look around and see a woman who plays with a child in the sand who I quickly assume is her own daughter. But they are not one of those mother-child duos who wake up the whole neighborhood because they don't fit together and constantly scream at each other – so the silence is still there.

While being in thoughts, suddenly reality hits me right in the feels and I slightly whisper''fuck". Sadly, it's not a typical Sunday – tomorrow school starts again after the wonderful time that is called''holidays". How could I forget? When tomorrow comes, I can officially call myself a „junior" at Reading High. Don't know if it's a good or bad thing. I sigh and grab my phone out of my pocket .As I unlock it, reality hits me even harder.

Oh shit, almost 6 p.m. !

I quickly put the phone back in my pocket and grab my skateboard again. Oh man, why does this has to happen all the time? I run as fast as I can. In a few minutes, my working shift at Jeffrey's Pizza Station would start. And I know exactly that i can't risk being late again for the fifth time...or sixth or...I don't even know anymore.

It takes me about fifteen minutes to arrive at Jeffrey's. I don't have the time to check the clock on my phone again, but I now exactly that my boss won't be so happy about it...shit. I rush into the pizzeria. As soon as I'm in, some old men , who are just enjoying the food at one of the tables close to the door, inspect me from head to toe. I wipe one of my hair stands out of my face while looking at my boss, who comes closer to me with crossed arms.

And in this moment, I knew that I fucked up again.

Jeffrey goes with me to the backroom, his arms still crossed in front of his chest.

„I'm really sorry, man. I know that I'm late again."

I really try to apologize honestly, but Jeffrey's face expression doesn't even change for one second. He tells me that this time, he can't pretend like nothing happened.

„Look, James. I know you need the money. But you have to understand that I need workers who are reliable, too."

He explains that this would be my last day of work. That's it. It's done. I don't even have time to be sad, I just think about his words. And he is right. I need the money – so damn bad.

Jeffrey goes back to the customers and I hectically follow. I can't accept that I just lost my job, even though I know that it's my own fucking fault. I try to convince Jeffrey to give me one more chance so I can prove that I can be trusted. He needs me. I know that. And he knows that the customers love me as well. But that doesn't seem to be enough to change Jeffrey's decision.

„Just deal with it, James. It was up to you. Would you please not act like a child and deliver the last order?"

He doesn't even look at me anymore. He just wants me to be gone.

„You know what? Fuck you, Jeffrey!" , I yell and take the last order I would ever deliver for him and his stupid pizzeria.

I don't know if I overreacted, but I couldn't calm down in that moment. It feels like a deep punch right into my face. I look to the note that is on the pizza I'm holding in my hand while walking down the empty streets. Great, the address I have to deliver the pizza to is far away from the pizza station. As it can't get any worse on this day...

While walking, I try to sort my thoughts. I lost the one job that was so important – not only for me, but for my family as well. And by family I mean my mom and my older brother Aaron. We live in one of the poorer districts in Reading. It's a simple house with no garden or porch. But everyone of us has their own room, so that's enough for us - even though my mother rests almost every day on the dusty, old couch, not moving or doing anything since the last six years. It's like that since my dad died in a car crash on his way home from work. From that day one, life would never be the same for us. But what should I say? Life can be a dick sometimes – but that isn't a reason for burying the head in the sand...even though I do exactly the same right now.

Almost there at the address that was ordering the pizza, I am still angry. Really angry. The district I am in now is one of the wealthiest. Allt he pretty and shiny houses with their big porches and expensive cars...how lucky they are. All my anger comes up right now and I can't contain myself – I furiously kick one of garbage cans that is standing on the pavement. I don't care if anyone heard that, it just had to come out. But someone probably saw or heard it because it's almost dark and pretty quiet outside.

I look around for a moment and feel that the pizza I'm carrying with me is already cold. I decide not to deliver it because why would I? I got fired today and I feel bad as hell...furthermore, who orders only one pizza? The people who live here have enough money to buy the whole damn pizza station, so they probably wouldn't even care if the pizza would never arrive.

The air begins to get colder and I consider just going home...I mean school starts tomorrow and the day couldn't get any worse. I breathe in and continue walking down the street. But suddenly, I hear some noise coming from one of the houses ahead of the street. At first, I can't really classify it...it sounds like...someone is crying ?

Under one of the streetlights, I see a girl sitting on the sidewalk, her arms holding her legs tightly and her head is down, she's not looking. Instead, she's weeping. It's really terrible to watch. As she pulls her head up to wipe her tears off her face, I recognize the girl: It's Betty. Betty Kavanough. We go to the same school and are in the same class. She is one of those girls who would never talk to a boy like me. I'm not even sure if she knows who I am. She's popular, confident and really smart – so I doubt that she would ever waste her time with somebody like me...even though our lockers are very close to each other at school.

I don't know what to do. Seriously. I mean it would be really awkward if I would go straight up to her and try to talk or cheer her up. I try to hide behind another garbage can, but her face is filled with so many tears that I doubt that she can even see clearly. Oh man, poor girl...it seems like I am not the only one with problems right now.

But what am I talking about? When school starts tomorrow, she will probably be all happy again and rock one of the last years of high school...while I am still that guy who is too dumb to be punctual at work. Right now, I have to care about my own life.

I decide to turn around and go home. It's almost half past seven and it takes another thirty to forty minutes for me to arrive at my district. It's late and I shouldn't be here. But as I turn around and continue walking, the heavy crying turns into soft sobbing. Silence takes over again. And hen I hear my name and stop right where I am.

„James? Is that you?"