Prolouge

Ron Weasley was not a face and a name that everyone knew. Mostly, he was recognized as the orange-haired boy who assisted Harry Potter on all his adventures, but no one ever seemed to really know him.
He was aware of it too, always feeling second place to his rather brilliant best friend, whether it be in popularity or book smarts, he never seemed to be good enough. But he never blamed Harry and continued to stick by his side through everything.

Perhaps that's what made me fall in love with him, to begin with.

The first time Ron and I spoke, we were in our fifth year at Hogwarts and he was a member of the new D.A. I had joined in secret along with a handful of other students, hoping to learn a thing or two about defending ourselves against the Dark Lord. Of course, it was kind of ironic that every day I had to turn right back around and see my father, who was one of Voldemort's closest followers.
He never pushed that lifestyle on me of course, because he loved me and wanted me to make choices of my own, but deep down I knew that if he found out I had taken Dumbledore's side, he would resent me. So I kept it a secret from him.

D.A practices went on for months, and over time I found myself talking to Ron more and more. We'd make an effort to see each other during lunch, after classes, and even in the astronomy tower late at night when we snuck out after our roommates fell asleep. Our fifth year came and went and by the end of it, I could tell that he had fallen in love with me.

I loved him too, and he knew it, but of course, it was never quite that simple.

My father, the ominous Professor Severus Snape, hated Harry Potter and his friends. It was nothing any of them had ever done, my father just had a bit of trouble moving on from the past.
I was absolutely terrified of what might happen if he ever found out that Ron and I were much more than just good friends.
He knew that we spoke, and hung out from time to time, but he made it clear that the line drew at being anything more than just schoolmates.
It was a huge weight to constantly carry on my shoulders, but there was something about my relationship with Ron that I refused to give up on.

He swore to me that he was fine with being together in secret, and at first it was true.

We vowed to only tell a few people, such as Harry and his other best friend, Hermione Granger, and my own best friends, Faye Bluebell and Luna Lovegood, as well as Ron's family. It wasn't easy, but for the most part, we made it work.

We spent that year as a genuine couple, completely infatuated with one another and not having a care in the world as long as we were with the people we trusted.
It was beautiful, to love him in secret and know that even without my father's approval, he still wanted me.

I truly believed him and I would be together forever, and he always assumed the same.

We were perfect.

Until our sixth year started.