Expensive Eyes

Picture: mine!

Become a Patreon to get early access to chapter + moodboards + character descriptions

Keys:-

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Emphasis/Emphasis

It had lasted for a split second — maybe even less. That was how long Nami had caught the eye of an interesting passerby.

Nami and the rest of the crew, plus Vivi, had just arrived in Alabasta and we're currently stocking up on supplies while looking for their child of a captain who had run off the moment their ship had docked — maybe even before that.

Blistering heat-waves washed over them and Nami found herself immediately perspiring profusely. Her skin glistened with sweat and the cloak on her back felt heavy as the sun beat down on her. Though, she supposed this weather was a norm for Alabasta as no one seemed to bat an eye much less complain.

The orange-haired navigator had been inspecting a sparkling crystal necklace that had caught her eyes when she glimpsed something from her peripheral vision. Craning her neck slightly, Nami found herself staring at a pair of golden orbs.

A puff of air left her lips and she found herself slumping over in what she could only describe as amazement. That person's eyes were the color of pure gold! It was just like liquid gold!

Her mind immediately started racing with images of a face fit for eyes so expensive before she had even seen the person's face. Her mind supplied her with pictures of a fair-skinned, pristine, clean person covered in golden jewelry — of which she was willing to bet paled in comparison to their eyes. In all her years, Nami had never seen gold which sparkled and glittered like this person's eyes.

However, as she let herself scan the person's other features, the images disappeared and she found herself disappointed.

It was a woman. A pretty one at that, but she wasn't at all what Nami had envisioned. Nowhere in sight was fair skin, instead, the woman's skin was tan and sun-kissed — yet it still looked very soft, Nami begrudgingly noted. The woman had a button nose and plush lips, nothing like the straight and thin nose and lip the people in her vision had. Her hair, was perhaps worst of all. Locks of messy brown hair were haphazardly thrown up into a ponytail, the only thing keeping them up a flimsy piece of fabric.

Her clothes, Nami noted in sorrowfully, were even worse. Not a single patch of silk was seen on the girl's form. Instead, she was clad in a cotton halter top that wrapped around her neck decorated by a single gold chain in the middle. Along with it, she wore dark, loose, tan pants and sandals. On top of her whole get up, the woman wore a large dark cloak. Perhaps even a backpack, Nami mused, going off of the lump on the woman's back which was cover by the cloak.

It was too plain of an appearance for eyes so ethereal!

Not to mention the fact that the woman seemed to be covered in sand and dirt, even a few scars here and there.

In reality, Nami knew that was what she should have expected everyone here to look like and that anything else would be weird. Yet, for some reason, she couldn't quite quiet down the desire in her to see the woman clad in expensive and extravagant clothing, something fit for her eyes!

Just as Nami was about to turn around, refusing to acknowledge the dent in her mood, the golden-eyed girl reacted. Noticing Nami's stare, the girl looked taken aback for a minute but quickly recovered before flashing Nami a wide grin, one that had her eyes squinting and her pearly teeth showing.

Maybe, there was something about her that rivaled the beauty of her eyes, after all.

Author's note:

As for the picture. I did draw that, and I did actually draw a whole portrait for this character. I did not include it for one reason and one reason only; it looked creepy as hell.

Jokes aside, I didn't actually think it through. I knew I wanted her to be smiling to show how approachable she is. But I also wanted her eyes to glow, I did this to draw attention to her eyes. However, those two don't mix well together — well, they do if you're trying to create a creepy image, but that's not what I was going for. So, in the end, I just cropped it! Hope you like it nonetheless!

For some reason, I am so excited about this character! Almost instantly the type of dynamic every one of her relationships with the characters would have popped into my mind and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this story! I already have two chapters written and will try to update weekly! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!