Dubious Debt

Picture: ???

Become a Patreon to get early access to chapter + mood boards + character descriptions

Keys:-

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Emphasis/Emphasis

"I'll pay!"

Those two words were words that Vivi never imagined hearing Nami willingly saying. Understandably so, she supposed. Although she didn't know the details, Vivi understood that Nami's struggles always seemed to stem from lack of an efficient amount of money, thus she's learned to be stingy -- for lack of better words -- with the money she does have.

That was precisely why the act of Nami offering to pay for a random stranger's supplies seemed so bizarre to Vivi, to the point where she audibly let out a squeak of confusion, her expression twisted into one of pure puzzlement.

The stranger seemed to share her bafflement and turned around swiftly, allowing Vivi to take in more than their side profile.

'Her eyes are gorgeous!' she thought, almost letting the thought leave her lips before she caught herself.

The female's eyes were brilliant! Orbs of molten gold glimmered in the sunlight. Her slightly tanned skin complimented her eyes beautifully and so did her light hair. A cloth was wrapped around her forehead like a bandanna and locks of brown hair had escaped the flimsy...bandage? -- whatever it was, it didn't do a good job of holding her hair up as many longer strands had escaped its grasp and now framed the girl's heart-shaped face. Vivi thought it looked good on the girl. That thought soon led to her imagining how the golden-eyed girl would look with her flowy and bouncy hair loose.

'Pretty.' She guessed.

"Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I assure you it isn't necessary." The stranger finally spoke, allowing the two girls to hear her voice. It was soft, yet stable and strong with a polite curtness to it. Her style of speech was strangely formal too, yet both girls didn't pay it much mind.

Nami didn't reply, instead handing over the necessary amount of money to the stall owner -- an old lady who seemed to be immensely enjoying the scene unfolding in front of her. The elderly lady laughed heartily but accepted the money, then handing over a small plastic bag to the cloaked girl along with a cheeky wink.

Once the girl had hesitantly taken the bag into her hands, and only then, did Nami decide to speak up, her eyes never leaving the girl's form as she did.

"Actually, I was hoping for a favor. Consider this my payment." Nami explained, an innocent grin on her face as she talked to the other girl, who stood at about the same height as Nami.

'That makes more sense...' Vivi thought, yet she didn't dwell on it for long, her mind too occupied with imagining all the different hairstyles suited for the brunette stranger.

"I'll be happy to oblige!" The girl piped, her tone light and an encouraging smile plastered onto her pink lips. "And since you have already paid in my stead, I suppose I can do nothing but thank you! I appreciate your kindness immensely!" the girl thanked, bowing slightly to the orange-haired girl.

Nami found herself subconsciously mirroring the girl's grin. Her eyes swam with fondness and her cheeks tinted a rosy color. "Don't mention it! You're going to be paying back after all! I'd like you to be our tour guide during our stay in Alabsta."

Now that was enough to snap the blue-haired princess out of her daze. A shrill "what?!" escaped her before she could hold herself back. What was Nami thinking?! Bringing along a random stranger they stumbled across in the market along with them on their journey through Alabasta's desert?! That would not only endanger the poor golden-eyed girl but them as well. If the girl was to recognize them after all, there was no way of guaranteeing she'd keep her lips sealed. Plus, why would they even need a tour guide? The princess of the freaking country was going to be accompanying them on their trip!