Part Four: The Yule Ball

The day of the Yule ball arrives, that evening I sit in my dormitory, staring at the snow falling through the window.
I sat there in silence and thought of how Cedric Diggory himself was asking me to the yule ball... although a small part of me wished it was Ron.
I mean, Ron and I have barely talked since our first year, yet something about him seems so welcoming.
I brush that thought away and instead jump up and get my dress from where it's hanging on my bedposts. It's a pretty lilac purple with a simple flowing skirt that goes down to my toes. The top is v cut with a few silver rhinestones and thin straps that lead into an open back and corset type strings.
My shoes are silver sparkly heels, but you can barely see them under the bottom of my dress.
I struggle a bit to put it on and few minutes later I ask a couple of the girls in my dorm to help me with my hair and give me some makeup tips.. after a while I look in the mirror.
Wow... I look pretty... I think to myself and smile.

20 minutes later I'm walking down the stairs to the great hall, nerves taking over my mind, and while I'm stuck in thought I bump into someone wearing very ugly vintage dress robes.
"Oh, I'm so sorry," I look up, "Ron?"
"I- oh.. sorry y/n," he stutters as I stifle a laugh.
"You look.. dashing, Weasley," I say, my face turning red.
"Yeah, I know, I know. I look like my great aunt Tessie," Ron looks down and chuckles,
"You smell like her too!" I reply, making fun of him by waving my hand in front of my face.
"Shut it l/n!"
"Not in a million ye..." I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around, "Cedric! Hi!"
"Hey y/n, ready to go?" He asks, and shoots Ron a look.
"Yeah I'm ready," I link my arm with his, "bye, Ron"
The redhead waves, his ears the color of a tomato, "bye y/n"

Just as I'm about to strike up a conversation with Cedric, professor McGonnagal tells us we have to line up for the first dance. I shoot Cedric a concerned face.
"You'll be fine y/n," he smiles at me.
I smile back and we follow after the other champions and their dates onto the dance floor.

As I'm dancing with Cedric later on in the night, I can't help but to glance over at a seemingly miserable Ron Weasley. I shoot him a smile, hoping it'll help, but all he does is nod his head up, as if trying to say 'hey'. I feel bad for him, not being able to get a date and last minute having to go with one of the Patil twins, who's off dancing with another boy.

"Hey, y/n," Cedric says, shaking me out of thought,
"Huh, yeah?"
"You wanna go get something to drink?" He asks.
"Oh, sure!" I reply, and walk with him towards the food and drink table.
"What were you thinking about," he asks, pouring me a cup of pumpkin juice.
"Oh nothing," I reply, grabbing a cauldron cake from a pile of sweets on the table.
"Okay then," he replies, not quite below believing me, "wanna go sit somewhere?"
I nod in agreement and take his arm once more.

When we sit down, I can tell there's something on his mind. The boys grey eyes pointed down and his long fingers fumbling with a napkin.
"What is it?" I ask, curious to what's going on in that pretty head of his.
"Oh, actually..." he straightens his posture and looks me in the eye, "I have something to ask you"
My heart starts racing and I s swallow nervously.
"I know we've been friends for a while and I don't want this to to ruin anything, but would you maybe like to.. be my girlfriend.. officially?"
My face turns a bright shade of pink.
"Oh well.. yes actually, that would be nice," I smile.
"Well then," he says, stands up, and takes my hand in his, "would the lady fancy one last dance?"
I nod and follow him back to the dance floor, where only a few couples are left slow dancing.
He slides both of his hands to the small of my back and I place mine on his shoulders. As the song goes on, I move closer to him, until we're almost hugging.
So this is what having a boyfriend feels like.. I think to myself, fully content in this moment.
A few seconds later I notice Cedric pull away from me, I look at him confused, but before I can say anything, he kisses me.