6. Corbyn :: (TEASER) The Kids In The Dark

Eurie: Hi guys! This chapter is a teaser for the newest book on my profile, "The Kids In The Dark". It's an X-Men/The Gifted inspired fic. If you enjoy this chapter, be sure to check out the full book!

2019
The government has worked hard to cover up all activities of people with supernatural abilities as a result of genetic mutations. It's worked for so long and in turn, allowed them to act practically outside the law when it came to these mutated humans. Sure some people know about what's going on. But they don't speak out because then they go missing or something of that sort, straight out of either a movie or North Korea. A mutant makes a ruckus, they go missing as well. The government keeps a tight lid on this sort of thing because they can't have mutant sympathizers demanding a fairer law. That is, until one teenage boy in front of a sea of smartphones has put forwards one of the most hidden parts of the country.

In one part of Los Angeles, the officials had a gun pointed at the three Bessons in the house, demanding they stay back and that Ray Besson came with them quietly. Jordan stepped forwards, his eyes glowing. One officer took note of this and fixed his gun at the boy and his mom did what any mother would, she ran forwards and grabbed the gun. It fired and sent her crumbling to the ground. In a sea of rage, her husband charged at the man with the gun.

A crimson glow engulfed the man who'd fired at Saski and flew him into the wall. But when he was distracted, another one of the officers filled him with bullets. Jordan cried out. But was silenced quickly as a tranquilizer entered his blood system.

In another part of LA, Ava Stanford was coaching Ashley Besson with breathing exercises. She didn't have the slightest clue why her blonde friend fell victim to an intense panic attack and concern only grew when Ashley's eyes glowed red in the split second she'd opened them. The two had been hanging out, just talking, and after a weak sting flooded through her brain, she let out a scream and tears trailed down her cheeks.

"Ava, what on earth could you girls be up to?" Ava's mother heard the crashing of various objects in her daughter's room. If those girls were drunk, boy, would her daughter be in for it.

The last of the Besson siblings to be struck with the anguish was the one on a stage in San Jose, not too far from Los Angeles. Corbyn started feeling his chest tighten with anxiety while he was speaking. He paused his words a few times, practically unable to catch his breath. It felt like he had just run a marathon. He figured the feeling would go away. But he spiraled as the audio track for "Big Plans" began to play in the background.

Lean left, lean right. Rarely did Corbyn have to focus so hard on accurately performing each move in the correct order. But it was hard to direct his mind to anything other than how badly everywhere from his legs to the mic in his hand trembled. He felt anxiety bubbling in his stomach and he didn't have the slightest clue why he was consumed by the feeling.

Corbyn missed a few words in his solo and then crumbled to the ground. Jack rushed to the left side of the stage, angling his body to shield the blonde from the audience as best he could, but not before instructing Zach to just keep singing the chorus. Keep the attention off Corbyn, that was the goal.

All the boys have experienced some sort of nerves. It's not uncommon given what they do. Zach got it badly in elevators. He was fearless everywhere else. But tight spaces were not his friend. Daniel had gone through a national talent show before he'd had his voice drop, so he was the voice of reassurance when needed. Jonah and Jack lacked the most self confidence starting off. Jack was just intimidated by masses of strangers and Jonah struggled with his appearance quite a bit. That was something that they'd never really talked about as much as they should have.

But Corbyn had always been a rock. He was the one bouncing around, shouting the most random space facts in voices that were akin to cartoon characters. Hearing him complain about being unable to breathe was a bit startling. "Do you want to go off? Take a quick break?" He held out his hand, letting Corbyn make the first move to take it in order to not startle him even more. The hand was taken and Corbyn stuttered, unable to figure out what exactly he wanted, or needed.