2

"Must I attend, Mother?" whined the big-eared, raven-haired warlock. "Yes, Merlin! It's a celebration for YOUR 20th birthday! How can the birthday boy miss his own celebration?"

"But I don't like big events. I would just be happy celebrating with you and my friends." said the young prince. "Oh it'll be fun Merlin! I'm sure you'll meet new people too. Prince and princesses, nobles, and several commoners will attend. I'm sure you'll entertain yourself. I even made it a masquerade ball so you won't have to worry about anyone really knowing who you are my darling" tried to persuade Hunith. In truth, she wanted her son to find someone he can be happy with, someone that would one day rule with him.

"Oh! I have another surprise for you!" said the Queen. "oh how wonderful" said the boy sarcastically. "Don't be like that. Come on! We'll go meet them at the door!"
"What? Who?" the queen didn't answer and lead them towards the palace doors.

"Guess who came all the way from Camelot for your birthday?!" excitedly exclaimed his mother. There was only three people Merlin knew from Camelot. "No way!" he said while dashing out the door. And there they were. Gaius, Gwen, and Morgana. "You guys came!"

"Of course! We wouldn't miss it for the world" said Gwen while bringing Merlin into a bone crushing hug. He hugged Gaius afterwards. "It's good to see you my boy" said the old physician. "Like wise, Gaius". He turned to Morgana and sarcastically bowed "My Lady". She just rolled her eyes in amusement and brought him into a hug. "Cut it out Merlin. You look ridiculous". They laughed.

Morgana and Merlin have been friends since they were kids and knew about each others magic. They had met one day when Merlin was visiting Gaius and got lost between the castle walls. Since then, they became inseparable and met at least once a month in the forest outside Camelot since it would be alarming if Morgana went missing for too long. Of course, she never spoke about Merlin to anyone apart from Gwen and Gaius. He would be killed other wise. Merlin met Gwen through Morgana.

"Come in come in! I'm sure the trip took a toll on you guys. I'll get a servant to get your rooms ready while we eat dinner."

"I guess this ball won't be too bad now".

From the opposite side of the kingdom, the prince and knights of Camelot had arrived at the border of the kingdom of Anglia already out of their uniform and in commoners cloths as to not reveal their identities.