Four

I woke up on my own at seven. After I had gone into quarantine, I started sleeping in a lot more, especially when I didn't have online classes. Here, at the beach, I never had trouble getting up early. In fact, I preferred it. I loved to go to the beach with the sun still low in the sky. I made so much more use out of the day. I felt empowered to face new challenges; to take risks and experience life to the fullest.

So I rolled out of bed, changed into a sundress, and went upstairs to make myself breakfast. The previous day, I had gone to the grocery store. People seemed to be taking mask-wearing pretty serious here, like they were in Virginia, so I decided I'd go back into town and explore the bookstore I always went to when I came to the beach.

* * *

The dress I had picked out matched my mask perfectly. I hadn't even realized it until I got here, standing in front of the book store. Sunflowers were my favorite, and the long, billowy fabric was covered in dozens of them. They seemed so bright and positive, almost like an omen promising happiness.
Standing here, a beaming array of sunflowers, I knew something great would come from this trip.

I entered the bookstore, a small bell jingling as I pushed the door open. A kind-looking woman peered over the front desk behind a display of books. She'd been here as long as I could remember, her brown hair always in a messy topknot. Now, her hair was streaked with gray, but she possessed an obvious youthful love for literature.

"Welcome to Books' Nook. Let me know if I can help you with anything." Her mask had an adorable book pattern on it.

I smiled, hoping she'd see it in my eyes. "Thank you. I'm just browsing."

"No problem," she said, shrinking back. It looked like she had a book in her hand. I had so many hopes of working in a bookstore one day, with hundreds of books at my fingertips. I wouldn't be able to get any real work done.

I walked through the aisles, gravitating immediately toward fantasy. My eyes scanned the titles, recognizing many of them, hungry to find new ones that I could fall in love with. I grabbed a book and opened the jacket to read its description when a voice startled me.

"That's my favorite book."

I slammed the book shut and spun around to face a tall boy looking at the book I was holding. He glanced up and must have seen my frightened expression.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he said, a twinkle of amusement shining in his eyes. He wore a starry mask, which I assumed stifled a smirk.

"It's fine," I mumble, looking down at the book, "I startle easily."

"Me too, it's okay." I glance back up to see his eyes smiling at me. "So, anyway, yeah, I read that book. It was just released. I got to read the advance copy."

"You said it's your favorite?" I asked, and he nodded eagerly. "But it was just released. You like it more than any other book? More than Gatsby? More than Shakespeare?"

"Shakespeare wrote plays. But yes. My favorite is usually the next book I read."

"You don't have one copy of a book with edges worn away from flipping through it over and over?"

"Not really. I love my books, and then I love more books. You do?"

I smiled, fondly envisioning the tattered edges of a book that I first read in sixth grade. "The Hunger Games."

"Good one. That was my favorite for a while."

"So you say this one's good?" I asked, bringing the focus back to the book I was holding. It was called The Secret Forest.

"So good. It's about these two sisters who discover a forest that the kingdom hid away because it was dangerous. But then they realize—" his eyes grew wide as he cut himself off. "Shoot. I won't spoil it for you, just . . . You should read it. I promise, you'll love it if you love fantasy and dystopia."

"I do love those things. Thanks for your help."

"Of course. Let me know if you need anything else." He gave me a thumbs-up, and then he perked up. "Oh! My name is Miles. I work here." Miles pointed to his shirt that said, "'Books are a uniquely portable magic. –Stephen King" with the store name printed underneath it.

"Thanks, Miles," I said with a smile. "I'm Evelyn."

"It's nice to meet you." I nodded in agreement, then turned back to the shelves. I wanted to pick out another title or two, since I was confident I'd get through at least three books during my week-long visit. I got lost in the new titles and only noticed after reading fourteen book covers that Miles had disappeared. A part of me was sad. I enjoyed the company of another bibliophile. But he worked here, so I figured I'd see him around. I settled on just two books for now, since it would give me an excuse to come back. One of the two was still The Secret Forest.

When I went to check out, Miles was standing with the woman at the front of the store.

"Are you ready?" she asked, and I nodded. She began to do something with the register, when Miles stopped her.

"It's okay, I got it."

"That's all right—" Miles cut her off again.

"I got it, really."

She gave in and stepped aside. "Okay, I'll just go check the back real quick." I swore I saw something in her eye, some secret message to him, but I wrote it off as my imagination.

"You're getting The Secret Forest," Miles observed.

"How could I pass it up after your stellar recommendation?" I placed the books on the counter and he began to ring them up.

"If you love books so much, how come I haven't seen you here before? Are you just visiting?"

"Yeah, I live in Virginia. My family owns a house here on the beach." After I said that, I feel weird that I told a stranger where I lived, despite it being vague. I'd never even seen his face because it was covered by a mask.

"Are you here with them?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I came here to stay by myself for a week."

"That must be lonely." He punched in something on the register, then gave me my total: "24.98."

"God, when did books get so expensive?"

"A small price to pay for an entire world that can fit in your hands."

I smiled. I loved that more than I loved the quote on his shirt. "I've never thought of it that way. And it's not so bad, being alone and all. I like it, sometimes." I gave him my credit card.

"Well how would you feel about some company tonight? I get off at 7. We can meet for dinner at this great place that does takeout."

I swore my heart stopped beating right then and there. Was he asking me out on a date? Or was he just being friendly? Was he even my age? It was hard to tell with the mask and all. "Yeah, sure, okay," I finally said. I mentally gave myself props for playing it cool, and I decided it was just a friendly gesture.

"Great." He took a pen and scribbled something on the receipt once it printed. "Here is the address to meet me at. 7:30. Wear something comfortable."

"Sounds good," I said.

He looked at me, more intensely than anyone's ever looked at me before. "It was nice to meet you, Evelyn." He glanced at my credit card before handing it back to me along with the receipt. "Evelyn Turner."