Six

When we got down to a sandier area marked by a sign that said "PUBLIC ACCESS," we could barely see anything. We had to use the flashlights on our phones to light the way.

"Are we even allowed to be out here at night?" I asked. My family would go down to the beach at night sometimes, but that was our own private property. Wasn't it?

"I think so. No one's stopped me before," Miles shrugged.

"Cool," I said, feeling a burst of energy after the tacos, and sprinted onto the beach, kicking up cool sand as I ran. I stopped close to the water, and Miles jogged to catch up to me.

"You're fast," he said, his chest rising a little more noticeably, but he didn't seem out of breath.

I was exhilarated. I curled my toes to feel the damp sand, then I took a few steps forward so the water lapped against my ankles. It was calling me, begging me to dive in, but I couldn't. Not in my clothes. Another time, I decided and turned to face Miles who now stood about six feet ahead of me.

"I love the beach," I told him. "It's not fair that you get to see it all the time."

I realized how entitled I was to vacation here at all and winced, remembering his living situation. I felt bad, but he didn't seem to mind.

"Yeah, I love it here. The way the wind is stronger off the ocean brings me to life." I noticed; he seemed to stand taller, more invigorated than before.

"So it's just you and your mom?" I asked, eager to know more about him, about his life. He lived so differently from me or many of the people I knew. And it was easy to talk to him, so natural.

"And my sister," he corrected.

"Younger or older?" I asked.

"Younger. She's thirteen. She has asthma and some other things, so we have to be extra careful with coronavirus."

I nodded, understanding the implications of his statement. "My family is pretty careful, too. Not because of any underlying sickness. We just don't want to get it."

"Yeah." Miles looked out, but it seemed like he was looking past me, not at me. "I'd do anything to protect her."

I smiled at his protectiveness. Sometimes I wanted an older brother to protect me. Or just another sibling to talk to, even to fight with. "What's her name?" I asked.

"Sarah."

"I love that name," I told him.

Despite the warmth of my sweatshirt, a deep chill seeped in from the aggressive ocean breeze. I wondered if Miles noticed when he said, "You should probably get home. It's late and chilly."

I shrugged. "I had a lot of fun," I told him.

He was a hundred percent focused on me now, a warm smile showing in his eyes. "Me too. We should do it again."

I wondered if this was a date after all. And he did pay for our food. "Definitely."

Miles reached in his pocket and pulled out a flip phone. "What's your number? I'll call you tomorrow when I'm done at the docks and we can make a plan. Sometimes work runs late, and sometimes I get off early."

Smooth, I thought. I gave him my number and said, "Sounds good." I wanted to add that I couldn't wait to hear from him again, but I didn't want to be forward, especially if this was just a friendly gesture. "Thank you for keeping me company tonight."

"My pleasure," he said and walked me back to my car.

"Can I give you a ride?" I offered, but he just shook his head.

"I'll call you tomorrow," he told me, then began to walk away. It wasn't until he rounded the corner that I drove back to the beach house.

* * *

"You had a date!" my mom exclaimed, her voice nearly rupturing my eardrum through the speaker of my phone.

"Mom, it wasn't a date." I shook my head, not adding the at least I don't think that might get her hopes up.

"It was totally a date!" she insisted. Her hopes were definitely up. "Aww, my baby had her first date, and I wasn't even there to help her pick out her outfit or anything." I swore I could hear her crying a little.

"I just wore something casual. It wasn't a big deal, Mom."

"Evelyn, this is the first time you've been out with a boy! He bought you dinner! I bet this was the first time you've ever even spoken to a boy."

"Not true!" I protested, but she did have a point.

"Are you gonna see him again?"

He still hadn't called me, and it was close to five. "I think so, but he's gonna call me when he's done with work." I had no idea how late he'd be at the port.

"So you have a second date?"

I groaned. "Not a date, Mom." Secretly, though, I kinda hoped it was. He was nice, and I wanted to be able to brag about finally dating someone to my friends.

My mom started blabbing on about work and my dad moving out and how she's proud of me for being safe until I got distracted by my phone buzzing. I looked and saw an unknown number calling.

My heart nearly stopped for a moment, then it threatened to beat right out of my chest. It was him, wasn't it? It had to be.

"Hey, Mom, I think Miles is calling me. I'm gonna answer."

"Okay, honey! Have fun on your date!"

I rolled my eyes, but I still felt a pang of guilt for leaving her. It seemed like she was doing all right, though, so I answered the incoming call. "Hello?"

"Evelyn?"

I heard a trace of nervousness in his voice and stifled a giggle. I found it cute. Then I shook my head, forcing these thoughts from my head. I decided I meant it was cute in a just-friends way and said, "Yup, hey, Miles!"

"Hey." He chuckled. I wondered if his heart was beating as fast as mine was. "I'm off now. Do you want to meet me downtown?"

"Sure," I said. "20 minutes?" I had to account for time to make sure I looked presentable.

"Sounds good. Meet me by the lighthouse. I have something I want to show you."

My stomach exploded with butterflies. I had the feeling before when looking at boys from afar, but I'd never experienced something quite as profound as this. "I'll see you there," I said and hung up.