Excerpt

I looked at the invitation. The white paper was thick and edged in gold. Thick and elegant cursive filled the paper, but I was looking at the writing but at the person in front of me. I knew that he was a former teammate of my parents but he was crazy!

He looked at me with excitement. "Isn't this great! You get to learn at the Academy your father went to."

I stared at him, setting the paper on the table. "Uncle Roberts, I can't accept this invitation."

He frowned at me. "Why not? I pulled some strings for you. Not much since your grades are exceptional."

I joined him in frowning. "I'm not allowed there."

His gray eyebrows furrowed to become one furry line. "Why not? You're the best I've seen in a long time. You're a prodigy. You can easily overpower everyone. Give me one reason why you can't accept."

I stared at him in shock before pointing at the invitation. "This is Solas Academy. A famous ALL-MALE academy. It's obvious I can't go there."

A glint of mischief lit into his eyes as he pulled out a sheet of paper in his arms. "Yes, you can."

I sighed, wondering if I can get through the old man's head. "No, I can't. I don't have the right equipment if you know what you mean."

He chuckled. "I can get you some."

My mouth popped open in shock and disbelief. No way was he sane. 

He rolled his eyes at me, waving a piece of paper in the air. "I'm not insane. Anyway, you can attend Solas academy without being caught with this spell."

I felt my eyes widen at him. "What?"

He smiled deviously. "This is a spell that changes gender." His expression changed into a caring and stern look. "I promised your parents that I'd look out for you. I wasn't able to do that when the Sorenson's took you in, but now I can. I'm giving you a once in a lifetime chance to change your life. Take it."

I sighed as my familiar in the form of a white fox appeared and rubbed my legs. Purple and pink eyes looked at me. She bumped her head against my leg, and I sighed again. "Let me think. If I do go and get caught, I'm blaming you."

He smiled. "You won't be caught. Trust me."