Prologue- part 1

Sang- 6 years old

I flew through the air towards a pair of outstretched arms. A squeal of happiness escaped me as those arms caught me and twirled me around. The scent of lavender surrounded me. A deep chuckle echoed from the person hugging me, making me look up. Green eyes down at me, and a wide smile was on his face. 

"Sang, you shouldn't run," he tried to sound stern, but he had a large smile on his face. 

I pouted. "But I'm happy you're back, Note."

He frowned. "You shouldn't pout."

I tilted my head. "Why?"

A rare serious expression appeared on his face before he shook his head, and his usual happy look was back. "Just thinking about dogs that will come sniffing in the future. Never mind that, little Sang. "

I pouted again. "I'm not little. I'm six."

He gasped. "Really? It just seemed like yesterday you were five."

I giggled. "I was, silly. Today's my birthday."

His eyes rounded in surprise. "What? No, it can't be. I remember that it's a year away."

"Note," I whined. 

He chuckled before giving me a kiss on my cheek. "Sorry, little Sang. Happy birthday."

I giggled, throwing my arms around his neck. "Thank you, Note." I leaned back and placed my little hands on his cheeks. "Are you excited for school?"

He mumbled with my hands on his cheeks, narrowing his eyes. "You're oddly hyper today."

"That might be because she found the hidden stash of candy," Mother said. I giggled, and Note sighed, shaking his head.

Mother mumbled, crossing her arms. "It doesn't matter what spell i put on the cabinet. She still miraculously finds a way to unlock it. She takes after her father in that way."

I wriggled, and Note set me down on the floor. "Note!"

Brother looked down at me. "Yes, little Sang?"

I giggled. "Mom and I are going to visit your school today! We're going to have lunch."

Mom perked up and started to walk out the room. "Oh! That reminds me, I have something for you, Note. Sang wanted to give it to you although it's her birthday today."

As she disappeared, Note sat down at the table. I walked over to him, and he set me in his lap. Mom returned, holding a small box with a pink ribbon wrapped around it. 

"It was your Father's. Sang and i went and got it polished. I hope you'll cherish it just like he did," Mom whispered as they shared a sad look. I frowned, wishing Daddy was here to see Mom, Note, and me. He died during a magic expedition last year. Mommy said that they never found his body so they had to use an empty casket for the funeral. It made all of us sad when we talked about it.

"Be happy," I clapped. Mom and brother stared at me before smiling. 

Note chuckled. "I am happy." He eyed the pink bow. "Did you wrap my present?"

I nodded. "Yes, it's pretty."

Brother smiled as he unwrapped the box, revealing Father's precious possession: a magic circle necklace. Mommy said that Daddy left it before the expedition because he feared he would lose it. Mom said that it had been passed down from son to son for many generations and contained very old magic. 

"Mom...Sang...," Note whispered, staring down at the necklace in wonder. He removed it from the box. The gold chain swayed from side to side as it dangled. The magic circle was silver and had different colored jewels placed evenly around the outer edge of the circle. There was a sun symbol on the middle, and a small moon at the top. Stars decorated the smaller section. 

i jumped up and down in anticipation. "Do you like it? Are you going to wear it now?"

Note smiled at me and Mom. "I can't wear it to school, but i can afterwards. You want to wear it for me until i get home, Sang?"

"Yes!" I squealed before turning to mom. "Mommy, can I, please? I'll keep it safe, pinky promise!"

Mom smiled at us warmly. "Sure, but just for today. You're keeping it safe for Note."

I nodded, and brother hooked the necklace around my neck. I felt a weird tingle go through me and giggled. "It tickles."

"I guess it likes you," Note laughed. "Now, be a good girl, and make sure that Eden doesn't steal it."

I placed my hands on my hips. "I'm always good, and Eden likes shiny things."

Speaking of Eden, my familiar flew into the room. She was in her little owl form with white feathers and purple and pink eyes. She landed on my shoulder, and I squealed. 

"Eden says hi," I giggled. 

Note looked softly at my familiar, petting its head. "Hello, Eden."

"Note," mom spoke, making both of us turn towards her. "You're going to be really late if you don't leave no. I may teach there, but I'm not covering for you."

Note gave mom a pout. "But it's Sang's birthday."

She smirked. "We'll be there at noon. Meet us at the Wind Plaza, alright?"

I looked at brother. His short hair that looked like my chameleon hair was styled nicely, and green eyes twinkled with happiness. He wore his school uniform, which was a navy blue with gold trim and a gold tie. He went to a school called Solas Academy. It was the same place Mom worked as a professor and magic councilor. It was also the same place Daddy went to school. 

Note smiled. "Will do, Mom. I'm off. See ya, Sang and Eden. Love you."

"I LOVE YOU!" I yelled out before sneaking some skittles into my mouth. 

"Hoot," Eden followed my lead. 

"I love you, sweetheart. Have fun." Mom encouraged. I noticed a change in Brother's expression, making me tilt my head. but it was replaced with a wide smile. 

"Bye," he called before walking out of the house. 

"Mommy?" I walked up to her and looked up into her green eyes. They were totally different that my ruby ones I inherited from Daddy. 

"What's the matter, Sang?" Mom knelt down to talk to me. 

"Brother looked scared a second ago. Didn't you see?"

My brother never looked afraid unless he had to kill a spider. He didn't like them, and neither did I. They were creepy with its eight legs and hundreds of eyes. 

"He's probably nervous. Exams are coming up for him. He wants to do really well like Father and I once did. He struggles with certain types of magic," Mother explained.

"he needs to learn from a pro like ME!" I smiled. 

Mom grinned. "I agree, little prodigy. Just don't set the house on fire again, okay?"

"Hoot!" Eden nuzzled her head against my face as I blushed. 

"That was an accident." I smiled shyly before I wrapped my arms around her. 

"What's this for?" Mom asked me.

I whispered. "I know you missed Daddy. I miss him too. But he loves you, me, Brother, and Eden. I love you, too, mom."

She blinked, shocked at my words. I leaned forward, kissing mommy on the nose. At  my kiss, she spoke in a choked voice. "Thank you, Sang. Father would be very proud of little Sang. I love you, too."