Ch 6: Darkened Rose Wine

The scent of sweet pancakes wafts throughout the house. The heavenly aroma feels warm, comforting. I hum quietly as I stretch out on the top part of the couch. My legs hang off one side as I balance on the top. I glance down at Orferio who is sprawled out beneath me.

He gazes up at me with a curious look, running a hand through his black hair. In the darkening shadows of the living room, his olive-toned skin appears gray. He raises an eyebrow at me, looking up and down my body.

"You remind me of a cat," he says playfully.

A soft smile plays at my lips. "I've always felt like a cat. That, or a fox."

"Why's that?"

I think for a moment before shrugging. "I'm quiet, I don't like large crowds, mostly independent... and I manage to fit in places a girl my size shouldn't be able to."

Orferio's eyes gleamed with curiosity. "What kind of places?"

I smile proudly. "Small places. Bookshelves. Cabinets. Under beds. Needless to say, I win almost every game of hide-and-seek. Sometimes people will be staring right at me and never notice."

"I bet I could find you," he challenges a sly smirk causing his lips to curl back.

"Oh?" I question with a lift in my voice. "Why do you say that?"

"You're my lover," he answers smoothly, "I'll always find you."

A blush rises to my cheeks. I make a small noise and cover my face with my hands, "Not fair," I mumble loudly.

Orferio starts laughing. "You're adorable."

I smile awkwardly through my hands, "Ah... you're making this difficult. I blush too easily."

"My love, your blushes are cute," he claims, "they make me happy."

I uncover my face to look down at him. Orferio is smiling wide, his eyes practically sparkling with love and sarcasm.

"Why don't you blush?" I tease, trying to ease away from my awkwardness. "I haven't seen you blush before."

Orferio purses his lips before shrugging. "You have. You must have forgotten."

My curiosity levels skyrocket. Maybe now more than ever, I wish for my memories to return.

"Really? Why? Why did you blush?" I ask excitedly.

Orferio rolls his eyes, "It was an accident, really."

"Was it me? Did I make you blush?"

He smiles to himself. "Maybe."

"Can I take a guess?" I ask without thinking it through.

"Nothing's stopping you, sweetheart." His smile shifts into a smug one, as if he enjoyed keeping it a secret from me.

I open my mouth but nothing comes to mind.

I have no idea what our relationship was before. Were we actually together? Did we ever kiss? Did we ever... do more? Orferio hasn't tried to kiss me yet, but that could be because he's waiting for me to start it. Are we even dating? It certainly sounds like it, but I could be wrong?

"So... be honest with me..." I say instead, "have we ever... you know..." My blush returns. "Kissed?"

Orferio blinks a few times, genuinely surprised. "You don't remember if we did?"

Ashamed, I look away from him. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I don't remember a lot of things..."

"We should probably change that," he mutters to himself.