Ch 28: Free Falling

J U L I E T T E ?

Life surges through my body, shaking me from the deep sleep I fell into. I gasp loudly before coughing violently. I flip onto my side, blind with heavy darkness, as my senses slowly return to me.

"Juliette?" his voice breaks with emotion. I recognize the touch of Orferio's hand. They always feel softer than expected. Warmer too. But they're shaking. "Juliette, are you okay?"

I gasp for breath for a moment, struggling to pull myself back into reality.

Holy crap, I think I just died.

Orferio brushes my wildly curly hair back before cradling my face in his shaking hands.

My eyes slowly open to find my face close to his. His eyes are bloodshot and overflowing with tears. Orferio leans closer, before touching his forehead to mine. "Say something, love," he pleads quietly.

I gape at him, unsure what to say.

He's crying. Truly crying.

I don't think I've ever seen him cry before.

I don't think anyone has.

"I was so scared I lost you," he admits, pulls me onto his lap again and hugs me tightly. Orferio buries his face into my bare shoulder. His warm breath tickles the base of my neck. I can feel the wetness of his tears on my skin.

"W—What happened?" I croak. Slowly, I wrap my arms around him and embrace him.

"You were infected by the Shadow. It poisoned your body before you killed it. It... might have actually killed you."

"Really?" I ask in shock.

He nods, still cradling me close. He doesn't want to let me go yet.

"You did beautifully," he switches the topic quickly, "with your fire, I mean. Your power is unmatched, the universe made an excellent choice. There's no denying it. I have never met somebody so powerful, beautiful, and pure of heart before. I don't know what I did to deserve your love, Juliette. But I swear to you, I'll do everything I can to make me worthy of it."

My expression melts into a satisfied smile, holding him tighter than before. "That's very sweet," I whisper.

Orferio pulls back a little with a nervous smile. He quickly swipes at his face before tilting my chin upward. "I'm sorry for making you angry. I shouldn't have acted like that."

"No, you're completely fine," I protest, "I—I was just being insecure. I was being stupid."

He shakes his head. "No. You were blameless. Besides, I shouldn't have stormed off. I also should have told you about my informants before leaving."

"Informants?"

"The Bunny women," he clarifies, earning a shocked look. "I hired them as my spies years ago. I've caught many of my own generals plotting to betray me because of their information. It's the most ironic and perfect cover for my spies. I didn't realize that would affect you..." He trails off before looking past me.

I look behind me and find Everett kneeling there. He clears his throat, "I might have told him why you were upset." He smiles weakly, at least a little ashamed.

Relief crashes over me like a cool wave.

Orferio wasn't messing around, he was gathering information.

I lower my head in shame, "I'm such an idiot."

"You're far from it," Orferio reassures me. "Besides, you had every right to be angry with me."