Ch 7: Fated to Fall

There once was a boy who yearned for power.

He was blinded by his own ambition and believed he could be more than he already was. He grew jealous of his younger brother and relished in its bitterness. The Council adored his younger brother. They claimed he was their savior. He believed he could lead them into an era of peace and happiness.

It was then when the boy realized the world would soon forget him.

His younger brother was to be immortal. And the boy would die before he ever had a chance.

The boy sought out power but realized the strongest of things comes from darkness. He was given the same powers his brother received, except the boy had no limitations on his abilities.

The boy tried to convince his brother to allow him to join in the quest, but his younger brother was in the clutches of the Council. His younger brother was ordered to take away the boy's new power to restore balance. They wanted him to kill the boy.

His brother still had some strength left in him to let the boy go free.

But it was the last act of mercy he showed the boy.

The boy grew stronger and created an army to rebel against the Council. The boy believed if he could destroy the Council, he could free his brother from their grasp. He needed to save his brother from them, and he'd do whatever it took.

He created the Chaos Bringers, a powerful army gifted with powers and enraged by the injustice of the Council. He built fortresses, laid siege to cities controlled by the Council, and tried to take his brother's powers from him.

His brother created an army as well and fought against him, trying to "save" him as well.

The boy knew his brother had become a puppet, and he set off to cut his strings.

Time passed quickly, as they were immortal, and their battle became fiercer. Entire worlds were destroyed in the heat of battle. The bond the brothers once shared had almost entirely vanished. Lines were crossed and things went too far for either of their likings.

It wasn't until the Council brought two girls from a magicless world when things finally changed. The two girls were prophesied to be powerful and meant to save the universe from evil. They were only fourteen years old when they were tossed into battle.

The Council seemed pleased with their progress as heroes, but the boy knew they were flawed.

The boy often spied on the girls. He studied their every move and learned their weaknesses. He grew interested in one girl in particular. Juliette, who missed her family too much and was too innocent for the rage of war.

However, she managed to mask her inexperience with her words. Her words were heartfelt and filled with meaning. She often inspired the army to fight for each other, rather than a simple cause. She sympathized with villains, believing they were misunderstood heroes in the wrong circumstance. Her desire to fit in was overpowering, but when she felt safe she was able to stand up for herself.

She'd forget to eat when she was too focused. She sacrificed so much for her fellow warriors. She did everything to make sure people felt wanted and were listened to because she understood how it felt to be isolated.

The boy met her on the battlefield and plotted to kill her. However, she was not what he had expected. To his surprise, she tried to reason with him. To talk him out of continuing the war and promised to help him return to the light.

He thought she was lying and attacked.

She defended herself with fire and fought with violent strength. It shocked the boy into temporarily retreating, clearly having underestimated her power. It was at that moment he realized she wasn't fireproof and she could barely control the fire exploding from her hands.