Chapter 10: Hands and Steps

Techno quickly developed a routine. He would wake up, make breakfast, eat, go to Dream's, and give him his portion. After that, he would help Dream get changed, they would go on a walk, do some stretches, then Techno would do the housework or shopping. Sometimes they would go to his house, just to switch it up. In the evening he would make dinner, then help Dream change again, then go home. It wasn't everyday, sometimes he had to do something at the coliseum and one of Dream's friends would take over, but it was often. The one problem with the routine was that Dream was getting better at taking care of himself. It wasn't just his arm healing, it was also Dream learning how to get around his immobile arm and utilize what he had. Techno was happy for his friend, yes, the proud smile he'd get on his face was enchanting, but he was feeling irrelevant.
     "Hey, Techno, look!" Dream said. He had successfully taken off his shirt, and already had the next one around his neck. "Something up?" He said, noticing Techno's silence.
     "No, it's just," He looked at Dream's expectant face, he knew he couldn't hide anything from him. "I've been feeling useless lately, you do all the work while just sit here, waiting for the one thing I can help with."
     "Aw, that's not true, those few things mean the world to me." Dream was right, he was being selfish. He should just suck it up. "Wait, I know of something else for you to do." Techno perked up, bracing for disappointment. "It's something only you can help with."
     Soon they were outside on the edge of the forest. "This whole time I've been hurt, I've been missing running. Not just the activity, the breeze blowing through my hair as trees rush past. So," Dream looked bashful. "Could you carry me and run?"
     Techno wasn't expecting that. But of course he agreed, mumbling a quick, "Get on." Before crouching with his back to Dream, arms open for him to climb onto his back.
     "Um, I don't think that'll work with my arm."
     Techno's face turned red as he thought about the natural conclusion, he would have to carry Dream in his arms. He awkwardly proceeded, lifting him up gently around his knees and back, feeling Dream rest naturally on his chest. They were the same height, but in this position, Dream felt small, like something he needed to protect.
     "You know the way, right?" Dream asked.
     Techno smiled, remembering why he was carrying him. He gripped Dream closer and took off, sprinting through the trees.

     They winded around trees, past creeks and boulders, sunlight flickering on their faces. As Dream coddled his injured arm, he turned his face, catching the wind and letting it blow through his hair. He soaked up the experience like a starving wanderer. He was in bliss, the forest breeze on one side, and Techno holding him close on the other.
     Techno took a long path to the clearing, but they arrived quickly. Dream was let down on the grass as Techno flopped down, panting in exhaustion. "Did I push you too hard?" Dream giggled.
     "No, I'm fine, I wanted to." Techno lay flat on the ground and Dream joined him.
     "Thank you. Seriously, thank you so much."
     "No problem, anytime."
     Dream smiled. "Do you feel useful now?"
     Techno seemed to think about the question. "I guess."
     "Oh. Well I'm not keeping you here, you can leave if you want to do something useful."
     "No, that's-" Techno sounded desperate. "That's not what I meant, I-. It's just that you've already figured out pretty much everything."
     "I haven't figured out everything, I'm still completely useless. I needed you to carry me just so I could go on a run, so much of my life has been completely upended." Dream paused as he thought about things he had tried to forget. "If you weren't here everyday, I would've gone crazy by now."
     Techno stayed silent, but gently placed his hand over Dream's recently clenched fist. Dream took a while to relax, but eventually gave in, letting Techno's warmth run over him and ease his mind. "There's more to you than athletics." Techno whispered, not moving his hand. "You're smart, and funny, and you're always nice to people. None of that would change even if your arm never recovered."
     Techno's words pierced Dream to his core, making tears well up. He smiled as their hands slowly and cautiously intermingled, finding their way into each other. Suddenly, nothing else mattered. Dream's arm, his worries about the future, the Dream Team, even time itself. His mind was focused on one thing, the warmth of Techno's hand in his as they laid on the grass.

     Techno was worried. What would happen when they had to stand up. By himself he might be able to keep their fingers interlocked, but this was Dream's only good hand. He could pull him up, but their hands weren't in a good pulling position, and it would be much worse if Dream fell. Resigned to the fact that this wouldn't last forever, he held Dream's hand tighter, savoring the moment for as long as it would last.
Eventually, Techno sighed to himself as he resolved to break their connection. He stood up and offered a helping hand to Dream, asking, "Do you want to do a morning workout, or do you want to go back."
     Dream had his eyebrows together in expected disappointment, but quickly flashed a smile. "Let's go back, can you run again?" Techno smiled back before sweeping Dream into his arms and dashing off, though he used a shorter path from last time.
     The rest of the day proceeded as normal, as if nothing had happened. That is, until they were at Techno's house, chatting on the couch.
     Techno was listening to Dream ranting when he felt a little nudge on his thigh. Looking down, it was Dream's thumb, his hand pointed to the sky. Techno saw the sign, grinning like a schoolboy as he took Dream's hand. Dream didn't stop his rant, though Techno could've sworn he heard a smile in his voice.
     That evening, he was at Wilbur's house in no time. He knocked enthusiastically, almost bouncing as he waited for his friend to open the door. The door finally opened to a baffled face, eyes wide in surprise. Techno shoved his way in and sat on the couch, disregarding any nonverbal protests. "Wilbur Wilbur Wilbur, guess what?" He didn't wait for a reply. "We held hands! Twice!" He started going on about the circumstances and how Dream's hand felt and everything as Wilbur slowly processed everything, closed the door, and sat down as well.
Waiting patiently for him to finish, he replied. "So he likes you back?"
     Techno's eyes widened in joy. "Yeah! I mean he must, right? Why else would he have held my hand. Granted, the first time we were both very emotional and we did hold hands before when we were drunk, but the second time there was no reason for it, he was just talking about apples or something like that, so like, he has to like me back, right?"
     "Yes, I think he does." Wilbur smiled proudly, putting up with Techno's lovestruck ramblings. "So what are you going to do about it?"
     Techno knew this question was coming. Though he had yet to address it himself, it had been at the forefront of his mind. He barely spent a second before replying. "I'm going to ask him out." His eyes shone as he thought about it. "I mean, I have to, what other options do I have."
     Wilbur's smile was sweet and excited, clearly overjoyed for his friend. "Let me guess, you want my help on the how."
     Techno looked desperately at his dear friend who somehow always understood him. "Please."
     They spent the evening discussing ideas and making plans. Wilbur was considerate, but also had ideas that blew Techno's mind. Techno was more prone to the realistic ones, making sure that Dream had plenty of room to say no, just in case. Together, they came up with something masterful.
     The next day went just as normal, just with a bit more hand holding. After meals, on the walk back from training, when they were talking, when they were playing games. Soon enough, Techno found that his hand felt empty and incomplete without Dream's in it. It was hard to believe it had only been two days.
     The first step of the plan came when the sun sank to the horizon. Check. The next step was a question. "Do you want to go on a walk?" He asked.
     "Sure!" Dream responded, his smile bright as he stood up. Check.
     They talked and held hands as they walked through the forest, the golden light casting beautiful warm shadows. Techno nonchalantly led them to a spot he's pretty sure he remembered, glancing around to make sure. He saw a few patches of various flowers. Check. He ignored Dream's confused look as he reached down to pick a newly blossomed flower. It was a brilliant yellow color with dozens of soft petals exploding from the emerald center, with leaves decorating the delicate stem. Check. He turned back to Dream, looking directly into his eyes as he pleaded his mouth to utter the words he had practiced hundreds of times by now.
     "Dream, would you like to date?"
     Check.

{oh my gosh, do you think dream will accept?!?!??!1! comment you're answers here}