𝑆𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑁𝑇𝐸𝐸𝑁

"Y/N?"
Staring down at her open book, she still didn't respond. The words on the page were blurry as her mind focused on other things.
"Hey, hey, Y/N," he tapped the page.
"Oh, Kotaro, I'm sorry," she sighed, shaking her head, "I didn't mean to ignore you."
"What are you day-dreaming about?" Bokuto smiled, twirling his pencil between his fingers.
"I'm just thinking," she mumbled, still looking down at her open textbook, the paper crinkled from the many times she dropped it.

"Sorry I'm not the best study partner," Bokuto sighed, "I should've asked Akashi to join us!"
She ignored the mispronunciation of Akaashi's name, something she was told to correct.
"You're a perfect study partner," she assured, making his shoulders perk up. "I just had a rough night."
"Was it a problem with Daisou?"
"It's Daishou, and yeah, I guess."
Bokuto dropped his pencil onto the bed and slammed his hands down, the mattress not providing the loud sound he was going for.
"Did you break up?!"

"No," she sighed, "You were wrong about him preferring text over call. I just call him too much."
"What?"
"I'm sorry, Kotaro-Kun, I shouldn't be telling you this."
Bokuto watched her turn the page of her book slowly with her eyes downturned. The light shining through the window didn't reach her face and instead, the dimming sun folded around her back. Her movements were slow, her hair was untied and unbrushed, even someone like Bokuto could see it. Something was bothering her.

He scooted up beside her on the bed, moving their stuff away.
"Y/N," he said, wrapping his arm around her, "I don't like seeing you sad. Please tell me what's wrong."
As his large hand took hold of her, Y/N nervously grabbed his arm, carefully sliding it off.
"Kotaro, I—I don't think that I can do it anymore."
"Do what? The homework?"
Her face burned as tears formed in her eyes. It felt like a weight had been pressed to her chest.
"It's okay, Y/N, sometimes-"
"Suguru lied to me."

Bokuto's eyes widened, his pupils forming their slivering shape like the nocturnal animal he tended to look like. He sprang up, immediately forgetting about anything else.
"Lied to you?" he scowled, "about what?"
"About wanting to talk to me. About being around me. He—I mistook everything. I annoy him."
Cupping her face, he shook his head, "But you're great! Daichi says you are all the time!"
Her face was warm against his hands as the tears in her eyes threatened to fall. The yellow of his eyes smiled at her, nothing but truth filling them.
"Suguru said I'm too much for him sometimes. I understand. I'm just upset that he lied about wanting to talk to me. I feel like I wasted my time."

Bokuto's hands dropped to her shoulders, trying to shake the stupid axiom she had claimed.
"He said you're too much for him?"
His laughter echoed on the walls.
"Y/N! You can never be too much for someone who can't get enough of you!"
Her heart felt like a heavy burden within her chest. His words of advice were something she had never considered before. Y/N was always trying to make herself lovable. She was always trying to make herself acceptable for others. She wanted people to like her no matter what.
Y/N never once considered that someone would just want her.

Standing up, leaving a confused Y/N on the bed, Bokuto started to press the buttons on his hot water dispenser, making continuous beeps sound from it.
"Only Akashi knows how to use this," he awkwardly admitted, "He doesn't trust me with hot water."
Placing a school-issued mug under the dispenser, he started messing around with the machine.
"You are in need of my specialty hot-chocolate! I can't let you down!"

Y/N slid down the bed and joined his side, grasping hold of his hand as he was about to set the temperature to an ungodly amount.
"Kotaro."
"Hm?"
"How did you know you loved Keiji?"
Scratching his head, he raised it to the ceiling, squinting at the stickers he and Kuroo had stuck up there, not anticipating how hard it was to get stickers off a ceiling.
"Uhhh...I don't know. I guess I just sorta knew! We found each other! He made me feel a lot of feelings! So I just knew!"
She sighed, helping him set up the water. The two of them sat on the floor, listening to the humming as it starting to heat up.
"Did you think he was ever too good for you?"
"Definitely!" Bokuto exclaimed, "I still think that!"
"Do you feel sad when you're separated?"
"Yep! Whenever he gets back here really late at night, I attack him with hugs and don't let go! He acts like it annoys him, but I know he loves it."