Chapter 1

"So how was school today?"My dad asked as he mixed the flour  and other condiments.

Well Elites Academy was the biggest high school in the state in terms of academics and others. Everyday came with it's crazy experiences.

"Well school was fine, today was hectic, still trying to concentrate harder in physics class, my classmates are quite smart you know, sometimes I feel intimidated and there is a talent hunt coming up soon" I told my dad at once, since my mum died, I had only my dad and he was really working hard and getting a scholarship into Elites Academy was the best thing ever.

My dad limped to the oven and brought out the freshly baked cake. I dusted the flour out of my apron for the hundredth time, I literally grew up in flour cos we ran a bakery, my dad and I.

"Kelechi, you didn't get into the school with an empty brain and trust you, you have the brains and you remember our pact, don't you? "

Of course, my dad had made sure I topped every class and once I finished university, I'll become a medical doctor, his dreams, not mine.

"Yes dad, I do" I responded.

"Good. Don't think about any distractions too, focus solely on your book, I trust you"He said with a small smile.

My dad was a man of few words, I took after him in terms of color and height, he was light skinned and average heighted and he limps, he wouldn't even tell me what led to it. I just grew up to meet him limping. He always had a bored expression on his face and he took calculative steps.

"Set up the tables, customers are likely to arrive soon" He ordered and I nodded.

My dad and I ran a bakery, most times I just sat behind the counter, reading and taking orders at intervals. It was like a coffee shop too and we sold ice creams. I was used to tell life as a baker's daughter.

Just as dad predicated, customers began to come in numbers, I was quick enough to take orders while my dad worked behind the counter.

Just then Yemi walked in and I smiled at his sight.

"Fool" I called him. Yemi was handsome and dark skinned, my first friend in Elites, though he came from a rich home, we just clicked and sometimes he helped me out. Though dad doesn't really approve of him totally, Yemi had that goody vibes that made people comfortable.

"Igbo witch, you look stressed out and you haven't even started"

" Get out" I scrowled at him, he always had something to say, something stupid.

He just chuckled and took his apron after exchanging pleasantries with my dad.

"What did your dad say about the talent hunt?" He whispered beside me.

I noticed some girls were giggling and scrutinizing Yemi, I had to admit, body hugs were good on him.

"He said focus on your studies, the usual old talk na" I shrugged .

"Don't give up babe, your talent is superb trust me and then you are already topping in Elites charts, where are you from? "He chuckled and I joined him. His smiles were infectious and he really knew how to hype people.

Just then Joro by Wizkid played out from Yemi's phone. His ringtone I guessed.

"So you are now a Wizkid fan?" I asked amusement visible in my voice.

" Your love for that nigga is infectious, what can I do? "He tried to defend himself as he checked his phone.

" Oh please, this is Wizkid Ayo we are talking about here" I rolled my eyes.

It was a known fact, Wizkid is my biggest pop idol, I love all of his songs.

"Till your eyes fall off, someone that doesn't even know you,ode" He insulted me and left.

" You are just jealous"I whispered but he heard me and mouthed whatever to me.

I focused more on taking orders while Yemi flirted with some girls and also served, I just chuckled, my best friend is a vibe.

***
It's a short chapter cos I'm still trying my hand on this book and it's just an intro to Kelechi's life.

What do you think?