Chapter 3

My dad took a train to the market in the central area and I had to put up the "Closed" banner while I cleaned up the shop.

I played Soco by Wizkid and before long, I was dancing. My dad had banned me from dancing. Yes dancing was my passion, my special talent apart from gluing my face to a book, where my joy lies, once I hear a song, my bones are alive and at that point I feel as though I was on a stage and I dance without stopping.

Johnny by Yemi Alade was the next song on my song list and damn, the song was straight fire. I love afropop cos of the beats,to me,the producers aren't well appreciated.

I was so lost in my own world and I didn't notice when anyone walked in, it was when I was about changing the song that I noticed the tall figure sitting on the chair and leaning on the table.

Yemi had watched my dance a couple of times but this time I was shy,maybe because I was sweating profusely or because I had dropped the broom carelessly. There was this admiration on his eyes,I could see and feel it.

"Why did you stop dancing?" He asked me.

" And when did you come inside,are you an assassin?" I asked instead.

" Came in some minutes ago,I love your energy,why do you keep hiding yourself,you really have to talk to your father,you are damn talented" he said.

I proceeded to arrange the chairs and tables and noticed he was already helping out.

"You won't understand,my dad has done a lot for me and the best way to repay him is by being focused and becoming a doctor"I explained as I cleaned the sweat with the back of my hand. Yemi handed me an handkerchief and I mouthed thanks to him.

"But it's at the expense of your dreams and happiness. Dancing is your happiness,I see it in your eyes ,your body,the way you connect with it" he stated the obvious.

" I can't break him,I want him to be happy genuinely, I can't break his already fragile heart, my mum's death had a toll on him and I have to fill the vacuum"I explained, stomping my feet on the floor, tears threatening to spill. I was trying so damn hard not to break down.

"But you deserve to be happy" He whispered and drew me into a hug. I did fight it, I sobbed quietly against his vintage shirt.

Sometimes I wonder why Yemi chose to remain my friend, he was way richer than me, had his own fair share of fan girls but he stuck to me.

When I finally left his arms, he gave me a small smile.

*So why are you here, I thought you had practice or something? "I asked.

" Yeah but I have a little problem with the chemistry assignment and I remembered that I had one big headed nerd as my friend and so here I am"He explained.

Our chemistry assignment was a tough one but I had gone half way in school.

"No problem, let's get this place cleaned up and for calling me but head, I must slap you"I threatened and he laughed at my empty threat as he has termed it.

He played Betty Butter by Mayorkurn and Davido as we worked on getting the place cleaned up.

**

"Charles law states that the volume of a given mass of gas is directly proportional to it's absolute temperature provided pressure remains constant"....

And the bell rang to indicate the end of Mr Smith's class, damn I was tired just like every other person in the class, we had physics double period and though Mr Smith is a good teacher, we were saved by the way cos the man gave us no breathing space.

I rubbed my palm severally against my palm and stiffled the yawn threatening to leave my mouth.

It was our short break and Yemi had already appeared in front of my desk with his smug look. He looked tired just like everyone else.

"Mr Smith's class is always exhausting" He yawned and moved my books aside and then he pulled my glasses from my face, it was his regular routine. According to him, I looked better without them.

" I agree with you on this one. I doubt if he gets tired at all" I said. I felt the sudden urge to  itch my hair and I did that with the aid of my biro.

"Your braids are old, make a new one" He told me as he cross checked the hair like he was my mum.

"You know how much I hate plaiting"I actually didn't like the idea of having to sit for hours and to worsen my situation I had a very full and kinky hair.

"Lazy girl" He murmured and I pinched him.

" So my friends and I were having an argument, so between Fireboy's Apollo album and Burna Boy's Twice as tall album, which do you prefer? "

His eyes seemed impatient, they held interest as he anticipated for my response.

"It Twice as tall for me, Fireboy is good but comparing him to Burna boy? It's a total disrespect"

Many people regarded Burna boy as the African giant, his alluring bass and wonderful message made people refer to him as Fela Kuti but that didn't change the fact I loved Wizkid more.

"I knew your big head wasn't just for nothing. Fireboy is just overrated that's all"Yemi aired.

I scratched my braids again and Yemi poked my head telling me in a sing song voice to make new braids.

Just then,Giwa strolled in, she was a tomboy, an ebony beauty on low cut, he hair was very dark and she was the only female that played in the male football team. I watched as Giwa strolled confidentially into the class. I didn't know her well enough but I knew she laughed with everyone but didn't take nonsense.

But that wasn't all I noticed,Yemi was watching her with interest, does he have a crush on our beautiful tomboy?

"Wadup peeps" She greeted. She winked at me and playfully punched Yemi on his shoulder.

" Girl, your punches  are painful" Yemi rubbed the spot severally.

" You are just a weakling" She teased.

"How are you Kelechi?"She directed her attention to me. I noticed the birth mark close to her eyes, the glint in her eyes.

"Just here, I'm good and you?"

"Better now that I've found Yemi, I have something important to tell you" I could see the hint of seriousness in her voice.

"Are you having our baby?" Yemi asked stupidly but got another punch from her.

"Ouch! You are too violent I swear" He scrowled at Giwa who just dragged him outside. Sports were in the next 30 minutes and whatever they were going to discuss was connected to sports or maybe not.

I tried to focus on solving some math exercises but some girls in the class kept mentioning Snr Ayo over and over again and so pretending to be focused, I listened to their conversation.

"I'm so watching that football match because of Snr Ayo"

So there was a football match, interesting!

" How can someone's child be so fine, I checked his Instagram page, never knew he was a model, he has even modelled with top models, his so flawless and he doesn't even have a girlfriend"Another chipped.

" I wish he was mine, I'd do anything to keep him"The third one gushed.

I felt bile rising up my throat, maybe literally but I was kinda jealousy, I huffed however and focused on solving.

***
What's on your mind?