Chapter Five

I really wasn't looking forward to seeing Draco today. I even considered not finishing our potions homework, but decided against it. I needed a good grade, and Snape wouldn't have cared that Draco made me do most of it. I was still in bed, staring at the ceiling and trying to muster the courage to get up when I heard Hannah's voice.

"Cass? If you don't get up now, you're going to be late to class." She gently opened the curtain around my bed and looked at me with worry in her eyes. I didn't respond. "Cass, you really have to get up now."

"Hannah. I told you what Draco said to me. I don't want to see him. You understand that, don't you?"

"Yeah, of course I do. I wouldn't want to see him either. But I know how much you care about doing good in class, and you can't let Draco ruin that for you. If you don't show up today, it gives him more power. You have to make him think that it didn't bother you that much."

Even though I didn't like what she was saying, Hannah was making a lot of sense. I couldn't let Draco ruin what I liked doing. I just couldn't. I sat up. "You're right. Thanks Hannah." I got up and hugged her. "I love you"

She laughed softly. "Love you too, Cass. Now lets go down for breakfast, I'm starving."

Hannah and I walked to the Great Hall together. As we sat down, I tried (and failed) to avoid looking at the Slytherin table. I didn't see Draco. I took a deep breath out of relief. I might have to see him in class, but at least I could delay seeing him for a little bit. 

As I ate, my mood improved. My friends were really good at cheering me up, and soon, I started to laugh. I could do this, I could face Draco. His words didn't really mean anything anyways. He was nothing but an insecure boy who takes his emotions out on other people. I couldn't let him break me. I wouldn't let him break me. 

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better. Walk with me to Transfiguration?" Hannah said, with her signature smile on her face. 

"As if I would want to walk with anyone else." 

We grabbed our bags and headed for McGonagall's classroom. Along the way, I tried my best to disguise the growing pit of anxiety in my stomach. I've always had issues with anxiety, and my friends always got a little too concerned when they could tell I was anxious. Thankfully, I seemed to be doing a good job, as Hannah was laughing at all of my jokes. 

We walked in, and I tried not to be too obvious as I glanced over at Draco's usual seat. He was already sitting, and was talking to the Slytherin boy next to him, who I was pretty sure was Blaise Zabini. 

Hannah and I sat down. I was glad that our seats were towards the back of the class, so Draco didn't notice us coming in. Not that he ever really noticed me anyways. 

Class passed in a blur as I focused on the lesson to try and distract myself from my issues with Draco. As soon as the bell rang, I quickly packed up my bag, hoping to get out of the classroom without any unwanted confrontations. I watched as Draco walked out of the classroom, and breathed a sigh of relief. Grabbing my bag, I started up a conversation with Hannah, and we walked out of class. 

"Connolly." Draco was leaning against the wall right outside of the door, and apparently he had been waiting for me. 

"What do you want, Malfoy?" I didn't care enough to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Next to me, I saw Hannah, the least violent person I knew, clench her jaw and tighten her hands into fists. The sight was enough to bring a small smile to my face. If you've pissed off Hannah Abbott, you've done something seriously wrong. 

"Did you finish the Potions assignment? It's due today."

"As if I don't know when it's due. And yes, I finished it. But I'm not doing the next one by myself."