Chapter Twenty-Three

Draco and I stayed like that for a while. I was terrified to pull away for a few reasons. For one, now that we had stopped fighting, I realized how much I missed him. Not only his touch, but our conversations and how much he made me laugh. I had gotten used to his presence over the past few months, and I was so happy to be with him again. I never wanted to go so long without speaking to him ever again. 

I was also scared that Draco would be able to see right through me. Realizing that I loved him seemed to alter my very self, and surely Draco would be able to tell. While I wasn't ashamed of my love by any means, I wasn't really ready to tell him yet either. And I probably wouldn't be until I was certain he felt the same way.

Eventually, Draco pulled away. He held me at arms length, like he didn't want to be too far from me either. "I missed you." he murmured, a slight flush on his pale cheeks. 

"You gotta be careful there, or people will start thinking you actually like me." I joked, and he shoved me playfully. "I'm just kidding, I missed you too." I smiled. 

Draco let go of me and walked over to his trunk. "Before I forget, Abbott told me to give you this." He pulled a bundle of parchment out and handed it to me. 

"Oh, my homework. Thanks. I've been trying to do some of it so I don't fall behind for the exams, but it's been hard without the actual assignments." 

"Merlin, you're such a nerd. Why do I like you?" Draco teased. 

I placed the parchment on my desk before stalking over to him. "Do I need to remind you?" I grabbed his face and pulled him in, kissing him briefly until I pulled away and walked back to my desk. Draco scowled as I ignored his obvious attempts to keep me there.

"I haven't talked to you in almost two weeks, and now that we're together again, you won't let me properly snog you?" he complained. 

I laughed. "I have to write a note to Hannah." I said, rummaging through my drawer for a quill and parchment, or for one of my mother's pens.

"And you have to do that now?" Draco huffed. 

I ignored him and sat down to write my letter. 

Hannah, 

Thanks for sending my homework, and for telling Draco where I am. We've made up, so you don't have to be mad at him anymore. I know you're not going to forgive him immediately, but at least try. 

Dad's doing a lot better. He woke up the other day, and I think he should be discharged soon. I'll probably be back to Hogwarts sometime next week. 

I love you and miss you, 

Cass. 

Finished with my letter, I sealed and addressed it, then took it over to Lyra. "Take this to Hannah for me." I said as I stroked her feathers. She flew out the open window, and I closed it behind her. 

I glanced at the clock. I was nearly 7:30. "Are you hungry?" I asked Draco. "I can find something in the kitchen."

He shrugged. "I could eat." I heard him mumble something under his breath. 

"What was that?" I asked with a bemused expression. 

"Oh, just that I'd rather go back to what we were doing." 

I rolled my eyes at him playfully and grabbed his hand, pulling him behind me. "There's time for that later, but I'm hungry right now"

I led Draco to the kitchen. "Sorry we don't have much. Is leftover pizza okay?" 

He stared at me blankly. 

"You haven't had pizza?" I asked him in disbelief. 

"Maybe once on a dare. And I don't think I've ever had leftovers of anything." Draco said, his nose wrinkling slightly. "But I guess I'll try it, just for you."