Chapter Nine

The next day, I got up earlier than usual. After getting ready for class, I left my dorm and headed to the common room, hoping to get an early breakfast before class. I was walking for the door when I collided into someone else. 

I stumbled, then righted myself. "Sorry, Justin! I was thinking, and I guess I wasn't really paying attention."

Justin smiled at me. "No, you're totally fine. I've been wanting to talk to you anyways, so this is kind of good timing."

My conversation with Hannah from Transfiguration class a few weeks ago immediately came to mind. God, I hoped this wasn't going the way I thought it might be. "Oh, okay. What's up?"

He rubbed his neck sheepishly. "Um, well I was wondering if you had a date to the yule ball?"

I held in my groan. For merlin's sake Justin, why couldn't you just like Marisa? 

"No, I don't have one yet. Why?" Maybe if I played dumb, he would get too scared to ask me. I loved Justin, but only as a friend. I could never imagine going out with him. He was like a brother to me. I just didn't want to break his heart. 

Justin smiled nervously. "Oh, well, in that case, would you like to go with me maybe?"

Hannah was right. I was Justin's mystery crush. She was right about most things, honestly, but I was hoping that she would be wrong about this. 

Apparently, I didn't hide my emotions as well as I thought I did, because Justin started rambling. "As friends, of course. Since neither of us have dates, and I didn't think you would want to go alone. I'm not really interested in anyone right now, so I thought I might as well just accompany you to the ball. Be a good friend, you know?"

I felt guilty at the wave of relief that washed over me. "Yeah, sounds good. What are friends for?"

He let out a nervous chuckle. "Yeah. Friends."

I was desperate to get out of the awkward situation. "Okay, well, I've got some stuff I need to get done before class starts, so I really need to get going. Talk to you later?"

Justin looked as anxious to end our conversation as I was. "Yeah, see you later." He stiffly walked away, and I let out a breath. Why did Hannah have to be right about everything? I just hoped that things would get less awkward between Justin and I soon. 

I quickly headed to the Great Hall. Once I walked in the massive doors, I scanned the Slytherin table. No sign of Draco. I sat down at the Hufflepuff table, picking a seat where I could easily see everyone who walked in. I had plenty of time before class started, so I took my time eating. Every time I saw a blond boy walk in, I sat up in my seat, but so far, none of them had been Draco. Eventually, I gave up and left the Great Hall. 

I arrived outside McGonnagall's classroom 15 minutes before class started. I glanced inside to make sure that no one was here yet, then settled on a windowsill just outside the door. A few minutes later, students started streaming in, but I stayed in my spot. 

Hannah walked up to me. "You're here early." She nodded towards the classroom door. "Are you coming?"

"Later. I have to talk to someone first."

Hannah raised her eyebrows at me. I could tell she wanted to ask me questions, but didn't pry. "Okay?"

"I'll tell you after class." This seemed to satisfy her. "Oh, and I figured out who Justin's mystery girl is."

"Who?!" Hannah asked eagerly.

I saw Draco at the end of the hallway. "I'll tell you later." 

Hannah followed my gaze. She pursed her lips. "Alright, but you can't forget to tell me."