Chapter 72

This may be the last time Julius and his wife get to be with each other in their home. All of them needed to get whatever seemed valuable to them and take it as they left Midland. Living in a demon-possessed land might end the way they live under the rule of the man who was once an earl. Harald's wife and son were nowhere to be found after they both walked into the forest to live in another place. Julius knew he needed to protect his wife and daughter more than ever before the demons held them captive.

"Lucy, I need to know the truth. Are you well enough to leave? Are you sure you can get packed and ready to go in a few hours?" Julius asked.

"I'm doing alright. I'll get packed as soon as you're ready. I must also know something from you," Lucy answered.

"Anything, Lucy," he said.

"What happened last night? How did they take down such a great city? So much has happened; it left me not able to feel right."

"It's important that you know this. The demons broke the barrier and pushed into the city. They burned down every building, including the palace. Erica and her son were lucky enough to leave as soon as they can and go somewhere else that's safe. Lucy, Harald has betrayed me. He now sits on the throne of Midland and declares himself king."

"Harald... a king? You and Harald fought the demon king? The one who took the throne for himself after killing King Lancelot? I never thought that would ever happen. Will he be the one to save everyone? Will there be a new era for everyone with him being the king?"

Lucy has the same reaction as everyone else after hearing Harald becoming the new king of Midland. But she does not know the truth about what the earl has become; it would take some time for her to get used to the idea of Harald succumbing to the darkness. It would take a long time for everyone else to be convinced that Harald took a sample of the Demon Wolf's power. Julius hesitated to give her every detail on what has happened and what will happen if they stay in Midland any longer. The only thing that matters is that Lucy and Lagertha are taken out of the region surrounding the cities and castle of Midland.

Then Julius answered and said to her, "Lucy... Harald's soul has been consumed while fighting that beast. His entire body is filled with darkness. Midland's citizens are now struggling with their lives and have nowhere else to live. Not all the demons are gone, but Harald is planning something. And that plan will determine Midland's fate. But we cannot be here while that happens."

"I... I'm very sorry to hear that. I feel terrible for everyone out there. If only your brother would think about what he did," Lucy said.

"We... are not brothers. We have never been brothers. I've only realized by now the truth King Lancelot has hidden from me," he said.

"You and Harald were never related? So then, how did King Lancelot take you in when you were a child? Have you ever known your true parents before they were taken from you?"

"I never knew my mother. I knew my father, I believe his name is Robert of Romania, but I never got to know my mother. On that day, everything happened in a blink of an eye. My mother died a week after I was born. My father dug her grave and burned her body as part of his tradition. The king only realized at the last minute that they were nordic before my father was cast out. Leaving me behind would've not worked out for me."

"You've been lied to. Treachery is common during these times."

"I'm a bastard."

"Julius, you don't have to call yourself that."

"I'm the bastard son of King Lancelot, the one and only last king of Midland. The reason I came back was not only to see if you're well, but living here will only bring us more danger. The night creatures will come for us now... all of them. They are hunting both Harald and me down for killing their king. But there is a higher bounty for me. I'm telling you now that we have no time. I will carry you if I need to."

Lucy understood that she was not feeling well and did not have the strength to walk away from the country. Julius and his family never rode on carriages and never had horses to assist them along the way. They thought they would never need things that may seem necessary for traveling to different places. Nobody in Midland ever rode on horseback because of how little room there was for horses. During that time, Julius stayed with his wife to help her out before doing more things during the day.

Meanwhile, Lagertha was going back to her room while hearing her mother and father talk to each other about certain things. She had the right ear for many things that she might need to listen to if she needed to know something. Lagertha knew that she and her parents would not last forever inside the region of Midland because of how many promises might be broken. Then, she gathers some things for herself as she listens to the idea of leaving the house for good. She had a bag to place all of her valuables inside, and she went for the ones that she always used if she was bored.

But as she did this, she could feel the ones who came to her and told of her fate. Lagertha also thought about the elder wolf who walked to her a few days ago and spoke with her about her destiny. The idea of being a lone wanderer of the night gave her the surprise that would make her question the idea of being able to survive. During these times, survival was the key to living through everything involving the night creatures. She continued putting her valuables into a brown bag, including her sketchbook that her father gave her.

A few seconds later, Julius and Lucy were walking out of their bedroom and were done speaking about certain things. Luckily, Lucy had some strength inside of her to make her keep going; she had some ability to help herself walk out of Midland. This would no longer be their home, and just living under the reign of the new king would be a waste of time. Julius would never care about those who harmed him and never cared about the ones who would damage the way he lives. Then Julius opens Lagertha's bedroom door and watches her gather a few things before they leave.

"Hey, Lagertha. I need to talk to you," Julius said.

"Alright, I'm coming," she said. Then Julius closes the door behind him and walks to the living room, and he stands up as his wife is sitting down.

Lagertha leaves her bag behind and walks out of her room as Julius walks around to wait for his daughter. The demon hunter knew it would not be easy for him to explain everything that happened yesterday, but he needed to be blunt. Lagertha was not afraid to find out what things her father would say to her and how she would need to heed his words. Julius and Lucy waited for their daughter to be with them so they would speak with each other one last time.

"What is it, father?" Lagertha asked.

Then Julius answered and spoke with her, saying, "Midland is no longer our home. Harald proclaimed himself a king after we defeated the one who ruled the castle. But I will never fight for him... ever again. We will go somewhere much safer and far away from the region. The time will soon come when they will hunt us down, but that's not happening on my watch. I will hunt down my enemies before they can hunt us down."

"Father, none of this makes sense. What does this all mean?" She asked.

"It's no longer safe for us here. It's time to leave. It's time to start a new beginning at a newer place. We must gather whatever seems like something we can use for the rest of the year. It's time to leave this place far behind."

Then, Julius looks out of the window and sees a few knights being led by Balvu, and he knew it would not turn out to be good. He realized that he might be questioned by many of Loftain's people as the knights were going to his house to escort him to the fallen city.