4. The Confusion

Life could never be more confusing right now.

I didn't realize that I've been lied to all of these years, holed up in a place that has caused me more pain than happiness. I should have figured there was something wrong when I hadn't gotten a letter in over a year, especially since I know that my parents would never lie to me. But now they're dead. The plague stole the very essence of who they are only to leave me alone. I have no one. Once I speak to Theolord I'm hoping I can get an honest answer as to why no one notified me, or why I was never let out of that wretched tower. 

As Rafferty walked ahead of me, I was able to get a clear picture of what he looks like. With his tall stature, he towered over me a good 5 inches. When he smiled he had one crooked tooth on his upper range of teeth and had eyes the color Alagonian sea. His brown hair is buzzed in a perfect line on the top of his head. Attractiveness is not a word to be used. With his rugged masculinity he can melt a million princesses hearts. But Too bad I wasn't going to become victim.

As we entered the village I was shocked to see how much it's changed. Children and adults were scattered across the town looking depressed and weak. Their hair is greasy like it hadn't been washed in weeks. Clothing was tattered and worn in. Children's faces were smudged with dirt because most of the streams coming into Alamon are polluted and people are afraid to drink the water. Houses were dark and light was illuminated only from some of the few street lamps. The town has only gotten worse.

I never cry, but when I do it's about things that will never change or have been changed for the worse. This is one of those times. 

People walk by me not realizing who I am. It's been years since I've seen anyone that is a part of my kingdom that I would even recognize. Theolord is everyone's main concern. He's the ruler, the one person that could give them hope, but even I realize it's never going to happen.

"Rafferty...is this what people have been living through since I've been locked up?"

His emotionless eyes bore straight into mine. "I'm afraid so. But, Theolord will take care of this peril and mess. Eradication is necessarily."

"He hasn't done a very great job at it..."

He grabbed my arm and said in a low voice, "I want you to realize you are talking about the leader of this kingdom. He's not someone you can just talk bad about There are spies everywhere that will throw you in jail the minute they hear you despising our leader. I'M even supposed to report you for this. But, you are royalty so I won't say a word. Just be careful what you say next time."

"He is my uncle you know."

Rafferty sighed. Amethyst didn't realize what kind of man Theolord is. Just because she is closely related does not mean that he won't treat her like everyone else.

I could see the castle in the distance. It used to be cheerful looking and inviting, but now the gloominess over takes the exterior. Even with its repulsive outside, it still brought back memories.

I remember my mom and I playing in the front courtyard with the birds and bees buzzing around the flowers. She used to make me flower crowns and told me I was the next future princess of the kingdom. At the time I was too young to understand that it was fate. 

As we approached the large stone steps leading up to the castle, nervousness struck me. I haven't seen my uncle in over 5 years. What makes me think he would even want to speak to me? He's the one that has had me locked away...it just seems too suspicious.

"Rafferty stop."

He turned to look at me. "What?"

"I'm nervous."

He rolled his eyes. "Are you stupid? Let's go. You said he was your family so there's no harm in asking a few questions."

"You're right..."

And right then and there I knew my life would never be the same.