Chapter 2

p r e s e n t

"We actually know each other," said Saifah. "We were classmates."

"Long time no see," replied Zon. His throat was suddenly parched. How long had it been actually? Five years? Seven, if he counted since their last conversation. Although, saying it was 'a conversation' was a bit too much.

Mrs. Bunnag squealed in delight, completely oblivious to the weird mood that surrounded them. Her eyes were shimmering in the fluorescent lamps' lights. "That's great! If you have any questions about teaching stuff, I believe he'll be better to guide you through it," she said, visibly happy she could shift the responsibilities on someone else. "If I knew you two know each other, I would have ask Mr. Panayachote to show you around."

'Exactly why I didn't say anything,' thought Zon, stretching his lips in an even weirder grimace. He glanced at Saifah. He wasn't sure if he didn't change at all or changed completely. He definitely looked more mature in an ironed shirt and neatly done haircut. He lacked his goofy smile, too. But he still looked like the Saifah he knew, like the Saifah he lost contact with because of his own stupidity. Some part of him was actually happy they ended up working in the same school. He wanted to believe it was a second chance the universe was giving him, a chance to rewind time and go back to being friends again. But at the same time his overthinking side was terrified of their future interactions, of stupid small talks and awkward moments of silence. So he wished to either postpone that as much as he could or skip that part completely.

Fortunately, at that moment, he didn't have to think of possible questions to fill out the silence, as Mrs. Bunnag was doing all the talking and all they had to do was nod from time to time. But the nervousness was there, bottling up in him. He stole one more glance at Saifah, only to meet his eyes. A flash of surprise flickered on Saifah's face, but soon his features softened and a small smile appeared on his face, reassuring Zon that everything was okay.

Maybe it was stupid to avoid him? It was impossible to run away from him until the end of their careers in the first place, and actually it was just a simple reunion of two highschool friends that lost touch years ago. Of course it would be strange at first, as they lost the connection they had back then, so it was only natural.

When Saifah finished his meal and Mrs. Bunnag stopped her story to catch her breath, Saifah excused himself from the table. "I should finish preparing the art room before the school year starts," he explained and shifted his gaze at Zon. "It's nice to see you again, though."

And Zon could feel he meant that.

p a s t

The kiss surprised Saifah, but it wasn't unwelcome. When Zon pulled back leaving a warm, ticklish sensation on his lips, he didn't think twice. Before Zon even started apologising, he touched his cheek and shut him up with another kiss. A rush of excitement sent thrills down his spine. Zon responded. At first shyly, but soon with the same eagerness as before. Mouth against mouth, nose pressed to nose. Saifah was scared to move even an inch to break the moment, at least not before Zon placed his hand on his nape to draw him even closer.

Why did it feel so right? He had never looked at Zon this way before, they were best friends, how could he? The possibility never even crossed his mind, and yet... he couldn't stop himself. Who would've thought Zon has such soft lips? That his fingers brushing his neck would make his heart skip a beat?

When they finally pulled back, he was still feeling dazed. He wasn't even sure if the spinning in his head was caused by alcohol or the kiss anymore. He looked at Zon, their eyes met. A faint snicker escaped his mouth and Zon joined him, giggling too. It was awkward and he didn't know what to say, but he definitely knew he would like to repeat that. He would like that very much.

"I didn't know you're into guys, too," he said, finally. Almost immediately he felt how stupid the sentence was, but it was too late. And he couldn't feel even more stupid than he already did.

Zon giggled softly, his face still hot. "I didn't want you to know."

Saifah smiled. The bitterness of the beer was still at the tip of his tongue, but somehow this time it didn't taste that bad.

A/N: Thank you for reading the second chapter! I hope you like it and leave the opinion. I will try my best to update more frequently but with smaller chapters instead.