First Word Woes

Here is a one-shot involving mama Lauren and baby Camila, with mentions of adult Dinah. Hope you enjoy!

Dinah Jane Hansen was the bane of Lauren Jauregui's existence.

This woman was literally the most annoying person that the twenty-five-year-old mother had ever encountered.

When Lauren had first met Dinah Jane, she thought that she and the woman would get along great. Maybe they would even become legitimate friends. But that was furthest from the truth.

The older woman had met the younger a few years back when Lauren had moved into her first apartment. Dinah had lived on the floor above Lauren's.

Dinah Jane was a character...she was witty, friendly, and so much fun to be around.

So, what was the problem with Dinah?

Well, it wasn't so much the woman herself, rather it was her hobbies.

Dinah Jane is a drummer.

The woman played the drums from the moment she woke up, until the time she left for work—which her job consisted in giving drumming lessons as well. Then the woman would come back home and jump back on the drums until she went to bed. Dinah Jane was a night owl...so her drumming most times went on until the wee hours of the morning.

Rat-a-tat-rat-a-tat-tat-tat-boom!

"Oh, my fucking god...shut the fuck up, Dinah" Lauren often found herself whispering with a rough breath, late at night.

A few years prior, Lauren never really cared too much that Dinah Jane played the drums. It did bother the woman slightly, but she always found ways to get past it. She would go out with friends, play loud music in her apartment to drain out Dinah's noise, or she would use ear plugs in the nighttime.

But ever since Lauren became a mother, things changed. What was once a slight nuisance, was now a major pain in the ass for Lauren. It turned her almost indifference into utter attentiveness.

Dinah's drumming was now the main thing on Lauren's mind. Through all parts of the day. The twenty-five-year-old had even dreamt of the pounding of drums during her sleep.

"Shh...baby, go back to sleep. Go back to sleep for mama" Lauren would tell her ten-month-old daughter, Camila on the regular.

Every night it took the baby a long while to fall asleep. And when she did, Lauren never felt relieved. She knew that in an hour or so, the baby would be up crying again from one of Dinah's loud, crashing cymbals.

Lauren isn't one to keep her mouth shut.

She has tried to reason with Dinah, tried to tell the woman that she has a baby and that they are both unable to get good sleep with the woman banging on her drums, the floor above them.

She has begged the woman to keep the noise down. And that's when Dinah's nice, friendly personality changed. Dinah Jane refused Lauren's wishes with attitude, how dare Lauren think her heaven-sent drumming skill was just noise?

Once Lauren realized that Dinah wouldn't act reasonably, she went to the apartment's management next. She spilt out all of what she had to go through with the woman who lived above her. Lauren was so tired, so done dealing with Dinah that she had even uttered words of ill-manner towards the woman.

That was Lauren's mistake.

Apparently, Dinah Jane was the girlfriend of the woman who was taking in all of Lauren's complaints. Normani did nothing about Lauren's issue with Dinah Jane and her drumming.

Lauren's only option left was to move but that wouldn't come easy. The rent she paid now would be considered a steal, but Lauren was already struggling to keep up with the monthly payment. She was a single mother as well as a full-time worker. Lauren couldn't put any more hours into her job, so for now she would have to stay living under Dinah Jane.