Girl on the Train IV

Here is part four of the Girl on the Train one—shot miniseries...I don't even know what to call it at this point lol. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy!

"Laur...we have to take her to—we need to call the police or something." Normani, Lauren's best friend and roommate says in a slightly hushed tone as she tugs gently on the Cuban—American's shirt sleeve. She had been standing by the raven-haired girl's side for a while now and Lauren hadn't made any plan of action. All she did was hold onto the small child.

Forty minutes prior, Normani had gotten out of her last class for the day. Usually, Normani kept her phone on vibrate but since it was finals week and she had multiple exams to take today, she decided to silence her phone and turn it off completely. As she walked to the single parking lot that the college had, she turned her phone back on and was surprised by all the popping up, notifications. It was even more surprising as well as confusing when she realized basically all of them were from Lauren.

Lauren had called the young woman five times—which was unnatural for the twenty-one-year-old. Lauren never called, she only ever sent texts.

Normani brought her ear to the phone as she dialed her own voicemail. Panic quickly filled her chest as she heard her usually calm, cool, and collected best friend, frantically stutter into the phone about some sort of problem. Normani couldn't really understand what the other woman was trying to say. But Lauren was at least attentive enough to leave the information of what streets she was off of.

Normani found Lauren at the transit stop by their condo.

"I need to take her home first...s-she's distraught Mani. Look at her" Lauren says as she clings to the child who cried into her shoulder uncontrollably. Karla had been in that same position since she realized what was happening and refused to budge from Lauren.

"No Laur, I think we could actually get in trouble if we did that. We really need to call the police and they can handle this situation" Normani stated realistically.

Normani had seen the child before, since Karla and her mother had gone to the store she works at, a few times. And Lauren spoke of the little one often enough; she was taken with the child. The time that Lauren had spent with Karla gave the green-eyed woman a new sense of zeal; enthusiasm that Normani hadn't seen in Lauren for quite some time. So, she knew the situation was sensitive for the two, but she needed to be the logical one. And they really could get in trouble for taken the abandoned child home with them rather than taking her straight to the authorities.

Lauren knew this too, but she didn't want to think as logically as her best friend. She was much more involved with Karla's feelings than getting in trouble. The child's hands were gripped on her tightly and she couldn't imagine the police coming and prying the small, scared child from her.

"Laur, I know you don't want to do this...but you really should. Think about it? If you work with them then you'll probably be able to be around Karla more. If you decided to take her home instead of alerting the police right away then they will probably make it more difficult for you to see her as often, or again in general."

Lauren knew Normani was right. She knew that she should call someone or do something about the situation. But she still just wanted to take Karla home and comfort her. The child was already going through a lot and she didn't want the little one to be burdened any further.

Lauren never responded to her best friend. She just rubbed Karla's small back as the little girl sobbed, streaks of tears ran down the small one's face. Lauren's heart kept breaking when she would get a peek at Karla, but she didn't know how else to comfort the child; Lauren felt helpless. Normani took Lauren's silence as an 'okay,' and alerted the authorities.