13 | Friend or Foe

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Thirteen
FRIEND OR FOE
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter Thirteen FRIEND OR FOE└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

When morning comes I wake up early. I had kept watch for most of the night but not sleeping much the night before, I must have fallen asleep at some point during the night. I turn my head and see that Monty is still sleeping, the small light of our dying fire gives off enough light for me to see. The embers are barely glowing.

I step out of the cave and am shocked to see flakes of snow falling. The feeling of seeing the snowfall while the sun just starts to rise and the birds singing gives off a feeling of calm. For a moment I am at ease. But then I remember where I am. The snow is not good for us. If it snows too much then our footprints will lead everyone to where we are. We could freeze to death. We could get sick, get frostbite. But at least with the snow, we will always have water.

The snow falling will lower visibility, helping conceal us but also making it harder to see others. I head back into the cave and wake Monty, we can't stay here all day. The Gamemakers will see that as boring and draw us out, either by mutts or any other evil thing that they see fit. I pick up the sword that I set aside last night as we slept and I stomp out the rest of the fire that remained. Monty picks up his backpack and the knife that I gave him. The two of us head out, keeping in mind that we will come back tonight. It provided a decent shelter, and with the snow, it will keep us dry.

When Monty sees the snow falling and sticking to the ground his eyes light up. Despite how deadly this snow can be to us we feel the excitement from it. It's childish but I wish that we could set aside the Games and play in the snow. Have a game of snowball fight to lighten the tension that hovers in the air, make a snowman to take our minds off of things, make a snow angel in hope that something will save us from our fate. I see Monty smile up at the sky and then stick his tongue out to catch the snowflakes. Seeing him this way, so innocent, reminds just how young he is. He has barely got to enjoy what life has to give him. I don't stop him from doing what he is doing, I just hope that if the cameras are on us this innocent moment will warm the cold hearts of the citizens of the Capitol.

Our moment of happiness is cut short by a low growl. Both of us snap our heads in the direction of the sounds. My face turns to horror when I see a wolf standing in the tree line growling at us. A mutt, it has to be none of the wolves that I have ever seen are that big. I have seen a few in the woods surrounding my district, they are unable to get in because of the fence that surrounds it. But this wolf has free reign, and it looks like it is ready to attack. I push Monty behind me as I draw my sword out. I don't want to hurt the animals, I have always loved animals and it hurts to see them in pain, but this one wants to kill me. If I am going to die in this arena, then I don't want to die to this wolf. I would much rather die at the hands of another tribute.