17 | Final Few

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Seventeen
FINAL FEW
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter Seventeen FINAL FEW└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

I stare up a Calyptus, shocked that she is here. Then she pulls me up, and I finally look down below me. Huge spike sticks out of the ground, and I am glad that she showed up when she did. That would be a painful way to go. Once back on solid ground, I sit down, trying to calm my racing heart. "How are you here?" ask after a few moments of silence.

She looks at me, and I see the sword is still at her side. "How am I here? How are you here?" she askes, "I saw you fall down that mountain. How are you alive."

I let out a breath and pull the quiver off of me, counting the arrows to make sure that I still have them all, "I honestly don't know." I tell her. "I landed in a pile of snow. I guess it somehow cushioned my fall." The question that I desperately want to ask never forms in my mouth. I can't bring myself to ask it.

"That's good!" She says excitedly, and then she notices something, "Where's Monty?"

My blood runs cold, and I fight back the tears, "He, uh, he didn't make it." I say barely above a whisper.

I lift my head up to look at Calyptus and see her lower her head as if she is sad, "I'm sorry." she finally says after a while. "I should have taken him with me. I should have done something, but he wouldn't move." She has tears in her eyes now.

I stand up and look at her, "You tried to get him to come with you?" I asked, hoping that she didn't just leave him to save herself. But if she did then, I can't really be mad with her about that because everyone wants to kill us, and only one gets out alive.

She nods her head as a tear falls down her head, "Yeah, I swear I did. But I didn't get much of a chance to get him because the tributes from 1 started chasing me, and as I was running for my life, I didn't see the anthem that night." She explained.

"Well, I got my revenge," I spoke coldly. "The girl from 2 and both from 4, they are dead."

She looks at me, shocked, "You took out three Careers by yourself?" She seemed like she was impressed.

I nod my head, "Were you following me?" I asked, drifting the conversation away from that day to when she just saved me.

"No, well, I mean not really." She pulled off her bag and handed me her bottle of water, "I just saw you as I was trying to find something to eat."

I smile at her as I take the bottle of water, "Well, you showed up just in time, a few seconds later, and I would be dead."

The calm feeling that was in the air from being with someone that didn't want to kill me was ruined. A cannon sounded through the air. Another was dead. I glance over at Calyptus, and we both share a worried look. We are in the final few, me and her and three others. Only five out of twenty-four of us remain. The odds of survival seem low at this point. The thought of freedom seems so far away.