23 | First Client

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Twenty Three
FIRST CLIENT
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter Twenty ThreeFIRST CLIENT └───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

The days went by fast, stopping at each district and giving a winning speech that was required. I never gave much care to those speeches that were written for me, I just read them and moved on, trying not to think about the tributes from these districts that are now gone.

When we arrived at District 7, the home of my former ally and friend, I felt like I was going to be sick. I couldn't do this, make a speech about her death while celebrating that I had won. It should have been me that died instead of her. But if she had won, would the same fate that awaits me be casted upon her? Perhaps it is better that she died in that arena and not forced to live the way that I will be.

I didn't think I had it in me to see the faces of Calyptus's family and not break down in tears. She had wanted me to tell her family that she loved them and so did Monty. They both had so much faith in me that I would win, but I was the only one rooting for them, not even the sponsers were.

I don't even remember what my speech said, but I know I stared at the piece of paper in my hand instead of the teary eyes face of the mother of my friend who saved my life in the arena. I wanted to tell her that without her daughter, I wouldn't be here, But I couldn't. I knew that her family wouldn't have a phone like I do in my new house but I knew that I had to get in contact with her. Maybe share my abundance of wealth with her. I had more money than me and my mom knew what to do with.

Getting away from the Peacekeeper was tricky but telling them I wanted to get some fresh air seemed to work. They told me not to go too far, to stay within eyesight and I did. I saw her standing in the crowd, many of which were leaving. I would have called out to her but I didn't know her name. She saw me just as she was turning to leave, suddenly I didn't know what I was going to do.

I waved awkwardly at her hoping that it would lure her over to me and away from the crowd. She slowly made her way over to me as if she was unsure whether she should talk to me or not. When she got close enough I wrapped my arms around her and sniffed as a few stray tears fell down my face, "I'm sorry." I choked out. "It should have been her, not me." I told her.

She looked at me with sad eyes as I stepped away from her, and then a smile spread across her face. "My Calyptus was not good at making firends, she wouldn't just pick anybody, but she picked you." She spoke in a sad voice and I could see the tears threntening to spill out from her eyes. "You looked out for her, you did the best that you could do." She said and the tears fell down her face.

I shook my head, "No, I could have done more, I couldn't save her or Monty." I sobbed.

She looked up at me and placed her hand on my shoulder, "My dear, you have such a big heart, and that will only get you hurt in war." She said and I looked at her confused, we weren't in war, unless she counted the arena. "And like war, you can't save everyone, even those we try desperately to save leave us in the end." She had a far away look and I knew she was thinking about somone, whether it was Calyptus or someone else I didn't know.

Choosing to ignore those comments, I reached into my pocket of my jacktet and wrapped my hands around a pouch of money that my mother had given me in case I needed it. Pulling out the money I place it in her hands, "I know this won't make up for your loss but I want you to have it, and I'll send you some more every month." I told her.

She looked up at me like she was about to cry and pulled me into a hug. She left soon after and I boarded the train and headed to the next district.

...

By the time we reach the Capitol, I am desperate. I make endless appearances of adoring crowds. I go to my room in the Training center and lie under the covers, trying not to think of my mother and thinking of nothing else. That night, on the stage before the Training Center, I bubble my way through a list of questions. Caesar Flickerman, in his twinkiling midnight blue shirt, his hair, eyelids, and lips still dyed powder blue, flawlessly guides me through the interview. When he asks me about the future, I tell him I had no plans yet which the crowd loves.

President snow himself makes a surprise visit to congratulate me. He embraces me, engulfing me in the smell of blood and roses, and plants a puffy kiss on my cheek. When he pulls back, his fingers digging into my arm, his face smiling into mine, I dare to raise my eyebrows. They ask what my lips can't. Did I do it?

In answer, he gives an almost imperceptible shake of his head.

In that one slight motion, I see the end of hope, the beginning of the destruction of everything I hold dear in the world. I can't guess what form my punishment will take, how wide the net will be cast, but when it is finsihed, there will most likely be nothing left.

President Snow silences the audience and says, "What do you think about us throwing her a party right here in the Capitol?" I pull off a smile without a hitch.

The party, held in the banquet room of President Snow's mansion has no equal. The forty foot ceiling has been transformed into the night sky, and the stars look exactly as they do at home. I suppose they look the same from the Capitol, but who would know? There's always too much light from the city to see the stars here. About halfway between the floor and the ceiling, musicaians float on what looks like fluffy white clouds, but I can't see what holds them aloft. Traditional dining tables have been replaced by innumerable stuffed sofas and chairs, some surrounding fireplaces, others beside fragrant gardens or ponds filled with exotic fish, so people can eat and drink and do whatever they please in the utmost comfort.

After a few hours the party died down and I spotted Stella coming towards me. Instantly I felt dread wash over me but I force out a smile and greet her. "Follow me." She says as soon as she approached me, not even asking how I was. I hestiently follow behind her as we walk down the long hallway that had no one in it. Which surprises me since we were at a party thrown by the President, I figured there would be people everywhere here.

As if reading my thoughts, Stella turns to look at me, "This area is off limits to the citizens unless they are a customer." she says as if this was a normal thing for her.

I didn't say anything, my nerves were getting the best of me. My palms grew sweaty and I desperately tried to wipe them on my outfit which was a silk dress that didn't help. We stopped by a door on the left side of the hall just as it was about to round the corner. "This is your room," Stella said as she leaned down and took out her key, unlocking the door. "Remember, when you go home you can't speak a word of this to anyone." she said with a stern look and sent chills down my spine, but I nodded my head.

She opened the door and when I didn't go in immeditaly she pushed me inside, Poking her head into the room she gave me an encouraging smile, "Your client will be in here shortly, make yourself comfortable." She spoke and then closed the door leaving me alone in an empty room and I was terrified.

I didn't know what to do, there was a couch and a bed, but I didn't feel comfortable sitting down so I stood there awkwardly holding my left wrist in my right hand. I could feel my heart pounding inside of my chest but after about ten mintues of standing there I heard the door knob turn, which only caused my racing heart to beat faster.

A man walked in, he had shaggy brown hair and dark brown eyes, a beard that was just beginning to grow back and he looked to be in his forties. When he saw me he smiled and introduced himself as Alder Silvershire.