viii. coward

The yule ball was next week, and they were all on edge

The yule ball was next week, and they were all on edge. Hermione was going with Ron. Harry was going with Ginny. Pansy with some fifth year, and Reigna was going alone. Both Fred and George had offered to take her, but she refused, knowing they each already had their eyes on a girl.

It wasn't as though she was desperate to be asked, because she was capable of going alone and having a good time. She had just hoped that maybe someone would've stepped up by now. hER options were becoming more and more limited as the days went by. It was Wednesday, and the ball was on the following Friday.

Her heart lurched as she saw Draco walk past the library entrance with his friends. He didn't see her, but she didn't mind. She wondered who he was taking to the ball, or if he was even going.

Pushing away the thought of him, she finished up my dark arts readings and essay. Groaning at the workload. The ball may have been approaching, but the professors made sure the workload was almost twice as hard. and she was sure they did it on purpose.

She finally finished up, heading up to her chambers to put everything away and prepare for dinner, she couldn't miss that again. It had become a bad habit for her, missing dinner and then waking up extremely hungry.

She could smell rain in the air tonight, and that only motivated her to eat faster. As she ate, sitting with Blaise, who had quickly become a good friend of hers, she met eyes with Draco. He shot her the smallest hint of a smile, and she knew he knew about the rain as well, which meant they would be meeting in the tower.

She finished eating as quickly as she could, saying goodnight to the trio and Blaise, making up an excuse that she was exhausted. Heading out of the hall, Reigna smiled, eager to spend time with the boy. She preferred it when they were alone, he was more open.

Reigna ran up the steps to the tower, a smile on her face. As she was running up however, she realized she had forgotten her bag with the new candles. Sghing, she turned back around, heading to my chambers. Once she retrieved her bag, she walked out, only to run into a certain blonde. Yet, it wasn't the blonde Reigna hoped for.

"Evander? What're you doing here?"

He blinked, taking a step back. Slowly, he pulled a rose from his robes, and she could sense where this was going.

"You're most lovely, Reigna. I was hoping you'd let me escort you to the Yule Ball," He said, that smooth voice making a return.

She opened her mouth to respond, but nothing came out. She really didn't know what to say. It wasn't that she didn't want to go with him, but she had been hoping someone else would take her.

"Evander, I'm flattered, but-"

And then she saw him. Not Evander, Draco, lurking behind the columns with obvious distaste on his face. He scoffed and turned away, heading towards the tower. This only motivated her to reject Evander faster.

"I'm sorry, no," She said quickly, pushing past him and heading in the direction of Draco, following him up the steps of the tower. She didn't even care to catch Evander's reaction.

Reigna finally caught up to him when we reached the top, and she took a moment to catch her breath.

"What was that about?" She asked him, completely confused by his behavior.

"You're going with him then?" He asked her, voice strong enough to cut through ice. She took a step back. He'd never been so blunt.

"I already told you, no," She said through gritted teeth. He clearly didn't get the message.

"Then what was all that then? More practice for the ball?" He mocked, seeming absolutely livid.

"He asked me, and I said no," She said, getting straight to the point. at this, he took a step back, as though he wasn't expecting that response. She crossed her arms, taking a step towards him.

"What's it to you, anyways? Why do you care so much if I go to the ball with Evander, it's not like I have anyone else who wants my attention." She said, not backing down from this. If he wanted to fight, they would fight.

He scoffed, heading back down the steps. She followed him down, confused. They had just gotten to the tower.

"Forget it," He screamed from where he was, the first strike of thunder coincidentally lashing out at the same time. She gasped at the combination, running down the stairs after him.

"I won't! Stop doing this, stop running away every time you get uncomfortable!" Reigna screamed back, finally catching up to him. They stood in the dark, moon illuminating them as the lightning helped. She took a step closer to him, eyes pleading, and he took a step back, his face as hard as it was when his father yelled at him.

He turned around, clearly done with her. He began walking away from her. A tear fell from her eye, and she didn't realize why. Why was she sad.

She wiped her eyes, following behind him.

"Don't you dare run away from me, Malfoy," her voice cracked as she spoke his name, "Only cowards run away."

He stopped. He practically froze. and so did she.

He turned around and began storming up to me, and she backed away from him. She'd never been more afraid of him. She stopped when her back hit a column, and she looked to see him approaching quickly.

He reached out, face expressionless, and wrapped his hand around her waist, roughly. She gasped, sniffling before she looked up at him.

"What are you-" His other hand covered my mouth and she looked at him, eyes wide.

"I'm not a coward, Reigna," He whispered through his teeth, his eyes light, yet somehow still on fire.

Slowly, he stepped back from me, his hands following. She took in a breath, eyes following him.

"Goodnight."

And just like that, he was gone. And she was left missing the heat of his hand on her waist.

She could still smell the mint in the air.