xiv. sister

It had been a couple days since she'd seen Draco last, and she learned not to care

It had been a couple days since she'd seen Draco last, and she learned not to care. She spent as much time as she could with River, which was difficult. There were so many girls fawning over him, and so many of their professors doing the same. He was the prized possession of our school. Top of the class and best seeker Slytherin had. Reigna didn't exactly ignite the same effect.

She was sitting in the common room doing some reading when a girl walked up to her. She was no older than fifteen. Reigna looked up from her book to see her shyly hand her a note, she furrowed her eyebrows and began to open it, but she stopped her. quite aggressively actually. Reigna then noticed the writing on the envelope.

"To Riverlin <3"

Reigna nodded, smiling as politely as she could. She walked away, her friends a giggling mess, congratulating her as if she'd won some sort of prize. Little did she know, River and Reigna would be laughing at the contents later. He'd gotten so many now that they had a game, they would pick their favorites. It was hilarious, seeing what these girls wrote to her brother.

She looked to the side to see Pansy with a frustrated look on her face, and she nodded to her. "Everything alright?" She asked and Pansy nodded, getting up and leaving soon after. Odd.

It was just around four in the afternoon when River suggested they take a walk around the grounds before he went to go visit Hagrid, and Reigna agreed. She could use a break from studying. If the workload before break was bad, it was worse after.

They stepped out, the snow nipping at them. As much as she adored the rain, she loved the snow as well. Everything looked so surreal covered in snowflakes. She pulled the letter out of her pocket, handing it to River as he walked. He smiled, turning to her with a raised eyebrow.

"Another one? If only there were this many girls in love with me when I used to go here," He teased, and she laughed. He unraveled it and cleared his throat, faking his best female voice as he spoke:

"My dearest Riverlin,
I've seen the way you look at me in the corridors  I look at you in the same way. There's no denying the chemistry between us. I'll be waiting for you in the room of requirement tonight.
Yours, Lola."

They both tried containing their laughter, yet they couldn't. The people around them didn't matter as they began to laugh. And just as they were calming down, she asked him, "Well, are you going to meet your lover Lola in the room of requirement or not, Riverlin?" and then they broke again.

They were wiping the tears from their eyes when she heard a familiar snicker. A pathetic snicker if she thought about it. Her smile faltered as she looked to see Draco and his clique.

He stood there, as if he was waiting for something. She knew she had to say something before he did, he couldn't think she was still fond of him. She refused to let him think that.

"Can we help you? Would you like to confess your love for Riverlin as well?" She asked, River failing to hold in a laugh next to her. She gently smacked his arm. He knew who Draco was, so she had no doubt he would play along.

His sidekicks snickered, but stopped when Draco shot them a dirty look. He rolled his eyes, stepping forward, not looking at Reigna at all. His eyes were trained on River.

"A shame you're spending your time here with the lesser valued of the Slytherins. If you ever get bored of her, I'm sure you know how to find me."  He said as he stuck out his hand for River to shake.

He did not. He didn't just belittle her in front of his friends and her own brother. Looks like while she was convincing herself to despise him, he was doing the same. His attitude was colder, ruder. As if he wasn't holding back anything because he didn't have anyone to impress. On top of that, it seemed he didn't know River was literally her brother. Suddenly she appreciated Lucius yelling at him about not being top of the class. He deserved it.

River looked at her, and she supposed she wore a look of hurt. She recovered as quick as she could, raising an eyebrow at his pathetic insult. The Kanes and the Malfoys were of the same status. She knew this because of the multiple times she'd heard her father complain about it. They were no lesser than him.

River caught on quickly. He ignored Draco's hand and feigned confusion, crossing his arms. River towered over Draco, and she couldn't help but smile at the sight.

"Do I know you?" River asked, not a hint of fakeness in his voice. He sounded more then genuine. She envied his ability to lie. Draco gulped at this, trying not to make a bad impression she supposed.

"I'm Draco Malfoy. I'm a seeker this year,"  He tried to redeem himself, but River wasn't having it.

"Then you're the reason we've lost every match?" River teased, eyebrow raised. Draco stuttered, trying to think of something to say. At this, she laughed quietly, not being able to hold back. He was making a right fool of himself. Draco scowled, turning to face her.

"I'd shut up if I were you, Kane,"  He stepped forward, and so did she,  lifting my chin as she began to speak, "Or what, Malfoy? Going to tell tell your father about it?" She teased, and even River cracked a smile at this.

He was seething, she could tell. She just didn't expect him to point his wand at her in response. She had to give credit to Lucius, it seemed he had conditioned Draco to hate every fiber of her being.

River stepped in between her and Draco's wand, towering over him once more.

"Next time you even consider hexing my sister, think again" River said, voice laced with authority. Draco lowered his wand, taking a step back. He looked up at them, eyebrows furrowed as though he were connecting the dots. How was he a top student.

"Your last name is Kane?"  He asked pathetically, and she smiled, River taking another threatening step forward.

"Try not to lose the next match, Drake," He said calmly before motioning for her to join him. Draco looked beyond embarrassed. They walked away, and she  tapped River on the shoulder.

"His name is Draco,"
"I know."