xviii. thunder

Time blew over quickly, but for Reigna, it felt as though she was still there with him when he died

The war had ended, a long time ago. In may. It had been maybe two months since Harry went up against Voldemort and won. Thank Merlin.

She had fought for her home, but mostly for Riverlin. She wanted him to be proud of her, even though she knew that he already was. He would've been proud of her no matter what.

Everytime she thought of his death, she couldn't get the image of Draco killing her brother out of her mind. Of all the things he was capable of, she would've never thought that death would be one of them. Draco wasn't there for the final battle. Narcissia and him had left Lucius' side, she'd heard. She was happy for them.

She knew that he didn't mean to kill Riverlin, and that it wasn't his fault, but she needed something to get over her love for him, and putting the blame on him did the job.

After the battle, she refused to return home. She didn't want to deal with the shame that her family brought her. She glared at anyone who referred to her as a Kane, and decided that eventually, she would change it.

She'd managed to find a small place with Hermione, as the both of them had decided to return to Hogwarts the following year in order to complete their education. It was the obvious choice.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione kept her busy. She appreciated them a lot. Each of them had lost so many people over the years. She was proud that they had managed to maintain their friendship and extend it to her.

She didn't see draco again.

Until she did.

It was august. About a week before school was to start again. Hermione and Reigna were looking for last minute things they needed for their final, final year. She hadn't seen him since may.

He looked different, there was more color to his face, he didn't look cold anymore. His hair wasn't icy like lucius, but golden like honey. Something had obviously changed.

He still wore that stone cold expression on his face, but it morphed when he saw her.

Those eyes that once drove her insane widened, and she felt her own eyes widen as well. Hermione clearly knew they needed to speak, as she lightly pushed Reigna in his direction, earning a glare from Reigna in return.

"I suppose we should talk," He mumbled after what seemed like minutes of staring at each other. She simply nodded, following him to a park bench near what looked like a memorial of some sort.

"Talk," Reigna said, quietly. Her mind was racing. She didn't know what she was supposed to say to him. He took a deep breath, Reigna could see him thinking.

"I didn't mean to hurt him," He began, and Reigna sighed. She didn't like where this was going. "I panicked, and I said the first thing that came into my head," He continued. She just listened.

"I  need you to know that I'm sorry." He spoke carefully, handling her as if she was a fragile piece of glass. He was never good with comforting people. He couldn't handle his own emotions, let alone someone else's.

She nodded, looking up at him, willing herself not to cry. Not now at least.

"I know, malfoy." she said quietly, looking back down at her lap. He opened his mouth to speak again, but Reigna didn't let him.

"I'm going back to Hogwarts." she said, looking up for a reaction.Hhe nodded, a small smile on his face, barely there.

"You should, you're intelligent." She held back a smile.

"You're smarter, you know?"

"Is Granger going as well?"

"Yes."

"Well then I haven't got a chance."

She smiled this time. At least he was self aware.

At this point, they had eased into each other's company, like old days. Their knees were slightly touching.

"So what now, Malfoy?" she asked, well aware that her question was open ended.

The clouds seemed to be moving a lot quicker. She felt the first droplet come down onto her cheek, as did he.

He smiled. It was the realest smile that she had seen come from him in ages.

Taking her hand in his, he stood up.

"Now, we try not to catch a cold" He joked, and she smiled, suddenly being taken back to one of the first times they spent time together.

They walked over to a clearing in the park, looking up as the rain came down. She slipped on some wet mud, and he caught her.

"Careful now, raindrops. No need to fall for me," He teased in a tone identical to the first time he had said that to Reigna, and she smiled. A smile that was real, that hadn't been forced like the rest of the ones from the past few months.

"Too late," She said, and leaned in.

And when their lips touched, the thunder boomed in approval. Because they were Draco and Reigna. Plagued families made them who they were, and in the time that they'd known each other, they grew together. No one would understand the way they depended on each other, and that was okay.

They were the thunder and lightning that made a storm all the more tragic, and they loved it the way that they loved each other.