3

He had a week to settle in before school started and he used it to get to know the people he was living with. He liked all of them. They were all very different but with one shared interest, to live in a community together.

Steve and Alex were the first gay couple he had gotten the chance to know and he loved spending time with them. It only took him a couple of days to confess to them that he was gay as well and they both hugged him and told him how proud they were of him. They took him under their wings after that and they gave him hope, that maybe someday he would find someone to share his life with.

He connected with Mitch and Sarah through music. They were both great musicians and it didn't take them long to persuade him into singing something for them. They hadn't stopped complimenting him ever since and he was buzzing with excitement. He really loved to sing.

Tom and Mary were just a sweet couple that made sure that he had everything he needed and they went above and beyond to make him feel welcomed into the community.

His aunt Amelia was great. They got along really well. He watched her flirt with Troy and he could see that the feeling was mutual. They just needed a push in the right direction. He liked Troy. He was a sweet and kind man. He made it his mission to make sure that those two love birds would end up together eventually.

He had called his mum as soon as he had settled in and assured her that he was good. He hadn't exactly told her that he was living in some sort of hippie commune but he told her that his aunt was living on a farm and that he had his own room above the garage. That had to do for now. She sounded pleased. 

On Sunday Steven and Alex talked him into having a little fashion show to determent what he should wear on his first day at his new school. To his surprise, all the members of the commune showed up in his room and he immediately got self-conscious. After they reassured him that they just wanted to be there to support him he changed into his first option, a yellow suit with a purple blouse with a big bow. They all clapped their hands and wolf whistled when he came out.
"Fabulous!" Steve shouted and Harry felt less shy now.

He showed them five other colorful options and they all cheered each time he came out from the walk-in closet.
"So which one should I choose?" He asked.

"They are all great options." Sarah smiled.

"You look stunning in everything darling." Alex said.

"Which one makes you feel most comfortable?" Mitch asked.

Harry thought about it.
"I really love pink. This blouse is gorgeous. I like it."

"I think we have a winner!" Mary shouted excited.

"Maybe I should just wear something less conspicuous. Like, try and blend in instead?" Harry asked, sounding insecure.

"Just be yourself, Harry. You're a wonderful young man. I'm sure the kids in school will see that too when they get to know you." Tom said.

"They sure didn't in my old school." Harry snorted.

"If anyone as much as look at you strangely we're gonna raise hell!" Steven said, sounding upset. Alex put an arm around his boyfriend to calm him down and the others nodded their heads in agreement.

"Thank guys!" Harry beamed. "I'll go pink tomorrow."

"Come on. Let's paint your nails in a matching color." Aunt Amelia said.

Harry ran to get the right nail polish and they sat down at the kitchen island. The rest of the commune wished him good luck on his first day and left his room. Amelia started to paint his nails. Harry took a deep breath and swallowed nervously.
"Amelia?"

"What is it, sweetheart?" Amelia asked and looked up at him.

"I'm gay." Harry breathed out and held his breath while he waited for her reaction.

Amelia immediately got up and pulled him in for a hug.
"That's wonderful dear. Thank you for telling me."

"So you're okay with it?" Harry had to ask.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be? I'm straight by the way. This seems like the time to share that." Amelia winked.

Harry started to giggle.
"You're so silly."

"It just makes me sad that coming out has to be something hard and difficult for most people. It shouldn't even have to be a thing. It's not like I sat down with my parents to tell them I'm straight. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad you told me, that you trust me enough to tell me. I just hope you haven't been nervous about it. Does Anne know?" Amelia said and continued to paint his nails.

"Yeah, I told her and Gemma last year." Harry smiled.

"I hope they were cool with it? Otherwise, I'll fly to Ireland right this second and call them out on their bullshit." Amelia threatened.

Harry laughed softly.
"Thanks but you don't have to do that. They're cool with it."

"Good." Amelia smiled.

She was done painting the first hand and continued with the next.
"Are you nervous about tomorrow?"

"Yeah." Harry admitted.

"It will be fine but if it wouldn't be, you have to tell me right away, okay? Teens can be little shitheads sometimes." Amelia said.

Harry cackled loudly.
"Gee, thanks aunt Amelia!"

"Not you of course. Anne raised you well." Amelia grinned.

She made the last stroke with nail polish on Harry's pinkie and leaned back to examine the result.
"Perfect! Your nails look really pretty."

Harry looked at them and smiled.
"Thanks! Ehm, Amelia? Do you think it's weird that I like to wear nail polish and like, the clothes I have?" He asked and looked at his aunt shyly.

"Not even a tiniest little bit." Amelia answered without missing a beat.

"Okay, good." Harry smiled relieved.

"If it makes you feel good about yourself. If it makes you happy, wear it!" Amelia smiled before she got up. "You should get some sleep. Big day tomorrow!"

Harry said goodnight and got ready for bed. To say that he was nervous about his first day of school would be an understatement. He really hoped that the kids here wouldn't be mean to him.