Prologue

Throughout the typically active streets of the capital, the only sound echoing is the soft pattering of droplets on the mud

Throughout the typically active streets of the capital, the only sound echoing is the soft pattering of droplets on the mud. The eeriness of the environment causes you to pull your ebony black hood lower. Entering the capital was always perilous for you, and the atmosphere, which appears to envelop the city, isn't helping.

Arriving in the capital square, you have to hold back a gasp at the sight. Usually packed with small brokers, laughing children and farmers, it was stripped bare. The only sign of life is an old woman sitting in the shade, hiding her fragile figure from the rain. The two of you make eye contact for a brief second, the fear in her eyes sending chills down your spine.

You hear a small uncertain whimper, as the paws of your best friend clutches your shirt tightly. This causes you to reach your hand up and pat his head soothingly before muttering, "What's going on here?" You feel him lean into your touch, his presence somewhat calming your anxiousness.

Keeping your head low, you journey deeper into the heart of the city, a breath of relief escaping your lips when the familiar scent of bread engulfs your senses. The aroma rapidly eases your nerves.

Turning the corner to enter the bakery, your shoulder accidentally collides aggressively against another arm. The brute strength causes you to look up, your eyes locking with a pair of very familiar doe-like eyes. His gaze only lingers for a brief second before he pushes himself past you and exits the shop. But that is all it took for you to recognise him.

Pulling the door to the bakery open, you shrug off your hood and allow your foxy friend to hop off your back.

"What was that bastard doing here?" You say aloud to the familiar figure in the kitchen window.

Upon hearing your voice, a short male wanders out to the front, his lips stretched into an unimpressed line.

"(Y/n), it's not safe for you to wander into the city so carelessly anymore." He bluntly announces, completely disregarding your previous question.

The concern in your friend's voice took you by surprise, his tone usually not laced with such worry.

"And why is that?" You inquire, "Did something happen? The royal mutts are on the loose?" Your sarcastic joke didn't seem to influence him as his expression remained unchanged.

"Can you not insult the royals for one second and listen to me?"

A long sigh escapes your lips, it's clear that his lack of playfulness means he's trying to tell you something important. So you make your way over to the countertop, only to fail miserably and slip on the discernible wet puddle that you drenched cloak caused.

"Every time!" You curse, before looking up and shooting the male an innocent smile. He doesn't respond and simply tilts his head to the side unresponsively. You roll your eyes in irritation, dragging out your words, "Yes Yoongi, I am listening."

Yoongi clears his throat and flatly announces, "The streets of Everett aren't safe anymore." Finally, your attention fully snaps onto him. "We haven't received confirmation yet but rumours have been circling the capital that the king was attacked by an Arcane." As the weight of the new information sank in, the playfulness that had risen from your banter immediately dissipated.

You open your mouth to respond, however, your furry friend who had now fully transformed into his human form beat you to it. "Is he okay?" Jimin's voice wavers slightly.

"The King is dead."

.

WELCOME EVERYONE to my first fantasy novel!!!!! As I said in my announcement before, this novel is completely different from the usual style and this took forever to plan. But I hope you all are as excited as I am!! Buckle up for a long ride before there is lost of surprises to come.