Chapter 2: The Arcane

Silent

Silent.

Dazed.

Two words Yoongi never thought he'd use to describe you, yet here he was. No words had been uttered in the few minutes since he broke the news. Your eyes reflected anything but joy and merriment, corresponding to your hatred towards the royal family.

Yoongi observed closely as you slowly deliberated the information before you opened your mouth.

"That's..." You heaved. "That's impossible."

Blinking twice, Yoongi tilted his head to the side and mentally replayed how you had said it. It seemed almost like you were trying to convince yourself that the idea of the king being dispatched by magic was impossible... how wrong you were.

"Magic was outlawed years ago," you spoke again animatedly, tone still laced with disbelief.

While you spoke, Yoongi's eyes wandered over to the front door, deciding that he might as well close up early. He heavily considered keeping up a normal act after hearing the news before you had arrived... but, after taking into account the state the city was in, he knew he wouldn't be getting the usual business any time soon. Plus, after evaluating the situation even further... he didn't think it was a good idea to keep up public appearances either. There was no doubt that with the King passing from the illicit use of dark magic, the capital's security would maximise tenfold. So it was in his and your best interest to get out as soon as possible.

Yoongi pressed his lips into a thin line, and excused himself to lock up. He also didn't want anyone overhearing the discussion the two of you were having either.

"And yet, we walk around the capital with little difficulty." He finally said after making sure everything was locked and secure.

You drum your fingers on the smooth countertop, before shaking your head in response. "Yoongi." You began flatly, "that's not what I mean." Sighing, Yoongi knew all well exactly what you were referring to but he didn't want to be the one to say it aloud. Maybe he was the one trying to convince himself that it wasn't possible, instead of the other way around.

He was already expecting and planning for the worst.

Throughout the entire conversation, Jimin had been silently listening. Never missing a beat.

"That would make them a Dark Arcane," Jimin thought aloud.

His direct outlook bore the explanation to what Yoongi never dared dive into.

The concept of a magical being - an Arcane - which possessed abilities beyond the abilities and understanding of an average human being alone, stirred fear amongst the community, especially those in higher power. This fear manifested into a revolution and the outlaw of magic, regardless of the magical bearers' intentions.

All witches were pushed into hiding, fearful of what was to come if they were discovered to have even an ounce of magical power. You had experienced the brutal force of this upfront and never again even wanted to reawaken the haunting memories. The purpose of the law was to make it easier for the royal family to create harmony amongst the citizens. However, where there's harmony, there was always chaos.

Some Arcane, like Yoongi and yourself, lived normal lives, who chose to partake in a peaceful life rather than revolt. Believe it or not, juxtaposing with many witch folklore, you weren't all horrendously looking females with brittle hair riding on broomsticks. A stereotype Yoongi distinctively remembered you hated and ranted about for over two hours. Although, in Yoongi's not so famous words; 'There are always some bad baguettes in the batch.' You were convinced he had one hundred per cent stolen the saying from someone else of high intelligence, but the meaning still stands. Even if the majority of the Arcane had chosen to live a life of hiding, scared of the consequences, some chose to revolt, they gave up their humanity and corrupted themselves into darkness.

He watched as you turned your head to face Jimin and your eyes softened. He knew exactly what was going through your mind at that very moment. You couldn't begin to imagine a life without your closest friend by your side. He knew your kinship with Jimin ran deep. When he first met the two of you, he made the mistake of jumping to the conclusion that the two of you were in a relationship, but it seemed to run deeper than that. Over time he realised something, clear as day; the two of you were family.

"With the rumours of the Veil harnessing black magic, I'm not surprised. If anything, it just confirms our suspicions." Yoongi commented while beginning to tidy the bench.

It was only then you realised that the bakery shelves seemed less full than they usually were. Honestly, the store did not resemble a bakery whatsoever.

"Yoongi... are you leaving?" You inquire cautiously, eyes panned across the empty room.

"As I've said time and time again. It's not safe here in the capital anymore (y/n)." Yoongi began to empty the shelves of bread and sweep the floors, ridding them of any excess flour and dust. "You need to get out of here."

"Me? What about you?" You said, somewhat confused.

"Don't worry about me, I'm safe. I've got the store, I can just lay low in here for now. But (y/n), since you're not a regular in the capital, I don't think it's in your best interest to stay." Yoongi knew his excuse for himself made him appear suspicious but he couldn't have you stay with him, it would only put you into more danger.

Judging by the way your eyes narrowed as he laid out the situation, he knew you didn't believe him but you didn't pry. This was one of the reasons why you had become friends. Yoongi himself knew he was conserved. He preferred to keep his life to himself. This made it difficult for him to sympathise with others as it seemed to annoy him when others tried to pry into his private life. So of course, you always did your best to respect his privacy.

"And where would I go exactly? Back to the forest to sleep among the trees?" You exclaim, somewhat frustrated at Yoongi.

Yoongi knew you didn't have a home, you were a travelling Arcane and preferred to wander around the kingdom. Staying in one place was heavy risk of being caught. Yoongi on the other hand didn't mind the risk, he had more important things to worry about. Knowing you well, he had predicted you'd ask him this question.

"Go to Venus in the plains." He said. "In Saorsa, magic isn't outlawed. Venus can help you."

"And leave you here?" You rebutted flatly.

"I'll be fine." He tried to reassure you. "Please listen to me... for once."

Narrowing your eyes further, Yoongi challenged your gaze and stared back, eyes soft with pleading.

It only took a few seconds for you to admit defeat heave out a deep sigh.

"Fine. I trust you. But, if I get news of your capture, you only have yourself to blame." He poked your index finger roughly against Yoongi's chest, then stood up straight once again.

"Thanks (y/n)." He smiled and followed you to the door.

You pulled your hood over your head and gestured for Jimin to transform back into his spirit form. "I ain't flying over on my broomstick to save your ass." You stated, after having abruptly turned around, the evident anger in your expression contrasted with your playful tone.

This caused Yoongi to chuckle slightly, he knew it was only a matter of time before you cracked a useless joke. "Says the one complaining about witch lore stereotyping."

"I'm not joking Min Yoongi." Your tone quickly switched to a deadpan one, "don't go dying on me."

"I won't." He held his hand out, you took it and gave a firm shake before you entered the capital streets. 

.

That's a wrap for chapter 2 loves. How was it? 

ALSO HOWD YOU ALL FIND BE?? What was ur favourite songs? I personally really liked fly to my room and Stay