Snap

Snap

I tried to calm my erratic heart down again for what must have felt like the thousandth time. Every time I heard a sound that didn't quite belong I found myself nearly jumping out of my own skin as I spun around to face the direction which I assumed that the dreaded sound had come from.

The latest sound that had set me on edge was the supposed snap of a twig. That's it, a twig snapping. A sound that had my heart beating even harder than the other unusual sounds I had heard up till now. And let me tell you, there were a lot of them, a lot of sounds to fear.

I could feel Michael's eyes burn into the back of my head, but that feeling was nothing new either. It had been with me ever since I first set my foot into the lush forest that now surrounded me on all sides. That was probably a couple of hours ago, I think. Telling time wasn't really all that easy as I made my way forward through the endless sea of trees.

I tried my best to not let the constant pulsating thumping in my leg, a painfilled thumping due to the collar of wounds etched into my ankles, deter me from my mission. I had to get away, stopping to tend to anything at all was out of the question. He would find me if I stopped, that mantra kept repeating itself in my head, over and over again.

Don't stop...

I felt like I had been walking for ages, yet not nearly long enough. The bright sun had been my constant companion as I chased her. I hoped that keeping the yellow globe in front of me would keep my direction somewhat straight. I couldn't afford to walk in circles, or even worse, somehow get turned around and walk back towards Michael's direction.

Michael, where was he anyways. Was he right behind me now? Was he still at the store? Or had he found me gone already and started to chase me, only to set off in the wrong direction? That's all that I really needed to succeed, Michael losing my trail and me not dying in the woods.

Please, please don't find me...

Snap

Another snap sent my body spinning. It was a lot closer this time, too close. Tears threatened to spill as I took a quick look around my immediate surroundings. Doing so was costing me time, precious time, but I just couldn't help myself, nor could I actually afford not to look. Michael ambushing me was a true risk, and not turning to check would be a stupid mistake, one that I couldn't afford. All it would take was him catching me off guard and that was it, one stupid mistake and I would be at his mercy. I needed to be prepared when or even if he caught up to me. I needed to be ready to defend myself, to do whatever it would take to get away. But could I though? Could I do what Michael did? Could I hurt someone, could I hurt him? Would I be able to do anything to get away from him, even kill, if that was truly the only way to escape his clutches?

Please, please don't find me...

I... I can't...

Don't make me...

I turned around and resumed walking after making sure that Michael was still nowhere in sight.

Breathe...

Seriously Soph... You don't need to hold your fucking breath every single time you turn to check...

He isn't there...

He's probably not ev...

"You know, I was going to let you get a bit further away before I stopped you, but that limp in your left leg is starting to get a bit to irksome to watch."

Micheal's voice revealed itself a brief moment before the monster himself did. A high pitched sound filled my ears in the absence of his gruff one as he stepped out from behind the trunk of a tree. Michael hadn't been behind me, he hadn't been chasing me like a dog on the scent of a wounded animal. No, the monster had been in front of me this entire time. I had been fleeing and he had watched me do it like some sick form of entertainment.