Chapter 72- Confirmed

Magnus spent the next couple of days at his apartment. He ordered himself more furniture and unpacked the stuff he already had. He set Max up a bedroom across the hall from his and soon the apartment had started to look like a home again. Magnus had cancelled the estate agents and decided he would just remain at the apartment instead because there was nothing wrong with it and he couldn't be bothered to move again.
He had heard, from Izzy, that Alec had got in contact and gone to stay with an old friend for a few days because he needed a break. The news only made Magnus more anxious because he was sure that Alec didn't have any friends that lived outside of New York except for one, Andrew Underhill, Alec's ex. He knew he couldn't dwell on the information or the thought of Alec and this man being together, so he busied himself with Max. To make sure that his son was happy, healthy and well looked after.
Magnus had hired a decorator to come in and make Max's bedroom look cute and amazing for his son. It was a Lego inspired bedroom. Colourful lego bricks were painted on the walls and the floor was a carpet that Magnus had specially made to look like the green boards that you build the lego buildings on. The cot was made to look like it had been created out of lego as did the rest of the furniture. Magnus wasn't sure how to decorate Max's room. As a kid, he loved Lego and all the bright colours so he decided to do Max's room like it. He wasn't sure on how it would turn out but now that he looked around, he loved it.
"What do you think Maxie?" Magnus smiled to his son as they walked around. "Do you like it? There is lots of room for you toys in here too"
Max looked up at him and gave him a small smile as he cuddled into his father. This always melted Magnus's heart as he held his son close. He just wanted to give his son the best life possible and he hoped he was making a good start.
There was something on his mind though, something big and worrying. Other than Alec, it was something that was really scary for him. What if Max wasn't his? He kept worrying about it, overthinking it. He didn't know what he would do in that situation, wether he would try and keep him or just give him up so he can go to his biological dad. Despite all that had happened with Alec, he hoped Max was his. He hoped and prayed that the DNA came back as being positive because the thought of giving Max away was too heartbreaking for him, even after a short amount of time.
He sat in the rocking chair by Max's cot and slowly rocked in the chair as he held Max close to him as he looked around the room. He couldn't believe how much had changed that week. He and Alec were meant to be house hunting, getting married, starting a future together and, even though he wouldn't give Max up for anything now, he still felt that if he hadn't of been given Max then everything would have been perfect with him and Alec.
Magnus knew that deep down this still wouldn't have been the case as when it came to the time to start a family with Alec, he would have been the exact same way. All Magnus could hope was that it was a sign of a good thing that he found out about Alec's preferences to family now then when they was married.
He signed as he had too much on his mind and looked down at his son who was now asleep in his arms. He had read countless parenting books and each one had said something different about babies and how they should sleep so now he just did what he wanted to do with Max. Most of the time his son slept in his cot but sometimes Magnus needed to hold his son as he slept. He needed that reassurance that his son was there.
Magnus held him for another half an hour before he heard his phone ringing in the next room. He carefully got up and gently laid Max into his bed before going to the living room. He frowned at the unknown number and wondered if it could be Alec getting in touch. His heard racing a little as he answered it eagerly before frowning at a woman voice the other end.
"Hello, is this Mr Bane?" The woman asked.
"Yes, who is this?" Magnus queried back, he couldn't recognise the voice.
"Sorry, Mr Bane, my name is Cynthia. I work with Clarissa at social services. I just got back the DNA test for Max Arthurs" Cynthia said. Magnus found it weird to hear his sons full name and knew he wanted to change it immediately. "They came back positive as a match for you. He is your son and I hope this is good news to you"
"Oh... Oh my... Yes this is great news! I'm so relieved. I really thought it would come back negative and I would have to give him back" Magnus rushed out. Relief filled his heart before being taken over by love for the little boy in the next room.
"Well, congratulations. Clarissa will be back to see you and... Alexander in three days from now. So, this Thursday, it's just a routine appointment. We just need to see that Max if healthy and well looked after. If everything is okay and set then we will schedule another appointment in three months. If that one goes okay then our meetings will eventually be finished and Max will be fully in your care" Cynthia explained but Magnus was too focused on the start of her words. Clarissa would be back to see him and Alec.
"Erm... About me and Alec... Alexander I mean, well we broke up. Will this be a problem for me and Max? I'm perfectly okay to care for him alone?" Magnus asked worriedly, hoping it wouldn't be an issue.
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. It should be fine, if Clarissa thinks you can't handle Max alone or has any worries your appointments will be more frequent but Max will still remain in your custody unless we believe he is at any risk of harm" Magnus listened to the woman and let out a shaky breath.
"He will be fine. I'll prove it that he is loved and will want for nothing in this world" Magnus stated.
"I'm glad to hear that. I can tell you already love him completely, the check ups are purely to make sure we are doing our job and that Max is safe"
"I understand" Magnus added. "I'm just saying that I will prove he is good with me"
Magnus was going to say something else when he heard Max start crying and looked at the time to see he was due a feed now.
"I'll let you get back to Max and Clarissa will be with you on Thursday. Goodbye Mr Bane" Cynthia said and Magnus said his goodbyes before going to pick up his son.
"Hey, what's all the noise for? Daddy is here. I'm right here" Magnus said as he picked up his son and kissed his head. "My son, My official little boy, let's get you fed"
Magnus smiled and cuddled Max close as they went to the kitchen and he started to make a bottle to feed his son. A warm feeling in his heart as Max put his hand on his cheek and smiled.