We Meet Again

Jasmine had felt skeptical about traveling back towards the capital. However, after a couple of days of leisurely travel accompanying Alistar whom she had started to think of as a friend her heart felt calm.

"Come on slowpoke. We will never get there at this pace." Alistar gave an exaggerated huff as he widened his stride. They would get there for sure but there was a specific time he was gunning for. After all, he said he would be meeting Alaric that evening. If he missed this time he would have to come up with some other excuse to make her wait until the next day and then find another way to get Alaric to meet at that exact time too. His head felt like it would explode. He was setting his friend up with a girl but it felt like he was heading off to battle.

Jasmine wanted to laugh. She could tell he wasn't really angry at her, but he was stressing out for some reason. "Calm down we have plenty of time to get to the city gates and then find an inn. It won't get dark for several more hours."  In her head that could be the only reason for his worry. The war ended but many people lost their livelihoods making the crime rate rise. While most of the nobles did try to help with the relief effort there were many that let greed cloud the right path.

Alistar checked the position of the sun once more not even bothering to answer her. If she believed it was out of worry then maybe just maybe he could get her to move a little faster.

...

Two hours, that was how much longer it took for them to arrive at the city walls. Jasmine felt like her feet would fall off if she had to take even one more step. Alistair on the other hand was so anxious to get them to the meeting. "Should I just carry you? I think even a newborn babe could get there faster than you are."

Even if Jasmine wanted to deny his accusation she was too tired even muster up a retort. She pushed One foot in front of the other determined to finish her tasks so that she can enjoy her vacation. Once she met the person that she was to deliver the package to she could travel the capital before returning home. Home, it was strange to her to think of a guild as a home but truthfully she had not felt like she had a home since the war.

"I can walk myself, let's just get this over with." Alistar took the lead after she spoke, making sure that she was just a few steps behind him. Once they got closer he would take a step back letting her travel on ahead by herself. After all, it would be very awkward if you ruined the reunions of would-be lovers.

...

Alaric the sitting at their meeting place an annoyed expression on his face. He was up to his eyeballs in paperwork and yet here he was at the request of his long-term friend. He should have known the Alistar would be late, he had known him for most of his life and couldn't remember a time he was ever punctual.

He was ready to get up and leave when a twig snapped behind him. He Whirled around ready to give his friend a piece of his mind they came face-to-face the last person he thought he would see. Her blond hair was disheveled and she was red in the face, but he recognized her immediately. He wanted to call her name but the only one he knew was a false one. She looked at him with wide eyes as if she too couldn't believe what she was seeing. Like a little rabbit caught in the eyes of a predator, she looked like she wanted to run. "Hi."  Her voice came out as a squeak and he took back when he thought she was a rabbit, no she was more like a cute little mouse.

"We meet again." His voice deepened naturally as he chuckled, catching even himself off guard. "I did not expect to run into you here, may I ask your business with this area?" His missing friend and the girl he had been looking for gave him an idea, but for all he knew it truly could be a coincidence.

Pointing behind her Jasmine gave a small wave. "My friend and I are on a delivery. Sorry, we must go."

She was about to sidestep Alaric when he reached out as if he was going to grab her hand causing her to flinch. He pulled his hand back quickly and bowed to show his sincerity. "I'm sorry for reaching without thinking. I do not see this friend of yours, did you perhaps get separated?" With his words, she looked around her in a panic. Of course, Alistar would choose then to run off on his own. She vowed in her heart to give him an earful when she saw him next.

"He was just here a moment ago. I really must get going, Ya know important delivery and all." Once again she was about to try to walk past him but this time his words alone stopped her.

"Did your friend have long silvery hair and a moon on his forehead?" Alaric pretended to be thinking hard as if trying to recall more details.

Jasmine immediately brightened at his words thinking he had seen him. "Yes! Have you seen him around here?"

Even if Alaric wanted to laugh he bit his tongue. It seems it was a very important delivery indeed. "I did not see him. Did he by chance tell you who the package goes to? Maybe I can help you find them, that is if you do not mind my assistance." He hated seeing the mistrust in her gaze as she sized him up.

"If you did not see him then how did you describe what he looked like?" Jasmine had the urge to flee, delivery be dammed.

"I believe if you open the box you are holding you will find it empty. You were the delivery." He gave her a sympathetic look. "The manchild I just described is my friend who told me to meet him here. It seems we were both tricked, though if I do say so pleasantly so." He gave her another bow and offered his hand. "Let me reintroduce myself, I am Alaric, the crown prince of this kingdom and I would be honored if you would give me your name...your real one." He winked, surprising even himself, and watched as he pale skin took on a rosy hue.

"Jasmine." It was a slip of the tongue, said without thought but before she could backtrack he flashed her a dazzling smile that took her breath away.

He pulled her hand up to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "Jasmine. A pretty name for a pretty lady. Would you're so inclined to join me for tea?"

...

In the bushes not far away Alistar crouched with a scrunched up face. He had never seen his friend be so overly affectionate, even towards Morgianna when they had been fighting for her hand.

The girl in question was beside him, hands over her mouth, and little hearts practically popping out of her eyes. Morgianna had pushed for these two to meet and still had not told him why. However, as Alaric's friend as long as he was happy he would do what he needed to see it through. Having fulfilled his part of the deal it was now up to Alaric to not screw it up.

______________
This chapter has been sitting in my drafts for a while now, but I haven't had time to edit it. School has literally kicked my butt, and then hung me out to dry. For those that do read it, I am sorry I will try to write when I can... No promises though.