[14] What are the Odds

[ 14 ]

WHAT ARE THE ODDS

Summary: "There was only one thing to do. They had to steal the dartboard." Or, an offhand comment about needing a dartboard leads to an ill-fated game of What are the Odds.

August 1944

Aldbourne, England

The dart stuck left of the bullseye. Harry grimaced. To his right, Buck sat at a table alongside Guarnere, Toye, and Luz, all three enjoying beers while they watched Harry attempt darts. Snickers came from Luz and Buck. At least he had one more dart.

Which really didn't help one bit as it landed even further from his target, much to the amusement of the sergeants and lieutenant. Guarnere and Luz didn't even try to suppress their laughter. At least Toye had the decency to just snicker into his beer.

Harry let out a sharp breath. After retrieving the darts, he pointed over to them. "You're up, Compton."

"Come on, sir, show us how it's done," Luz added, giving him a few claps.

While Buck took up the spot Harry vacated, he moved to lean against a wooden pillar. His beer had gone lukewarm from sitting on the table. Still, better than nothing. Harry didn't usually join Buck in his gambling with the men, but with the next jump already being planned, he'd needed the distraction and the others were in constant briefings.

"Don't feel bad if you lose, Harry. You're in good company," Buck told him.

Harry looked at him in confusion. But when Guarnere and Luz just started laughing at the table, he turned to face them. Toye looked absolutely murderous. There had to be a story there. Harry would find out what it was later. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

The first dart hit just shy of the bullseye. Harry grimaced. When Buck took the time to turn back to him, he refused to give him the satisfaction of his irritation though. With a smile, Harry pushed off from the post. Instead he stood by the board. He took a drink.

"You know what the CP needs?" Guarnere said. "It needs a fucking dartboard."

Harry just snorted a bit of a laugh. With a smile hidden behind his beer glass, he shook his head. "Where you gonna get one, Guarnere?"

He shrugged. "Fuck if I know, sir. But there's gotta be one lyin around somewhere."

The second dart slammed opposite the first one, still outside the bullseye. Harry saw Buck shoot the tiniest frown at the board. With a laugh, he sipped his drink and looked around. It was only mid-morning. They had the bar to themselves except for a couple of small groups from Fox Company.

As he pulled out a cigarette, Luz gestured towards the door. "Think I saw someone selling one a couple days ago."

"We don't got the money to buy one, George," Guarnere muttered.

Buck's third dart missed the bullseye as well. Harry watched as he tried not to draw attention to the failure. With a laugh, Harry just collected the three from the board. Buck retook his seat.

"George, that grin on your face is never a good sign," Buck told him.

Luz tried to suppress it. But even with the cigarette in his mouth, it just kept growing. Finally he leaned forward. "What are the odds we just take that one?"

Harry scoffed. "Fifty to one."

"Yeah, sounds about right," Buck agreed.

They all paused. Guarnere and Luz broke into grins, Toye just groaned, and Harry and Buck looked at each other. The laughter from the other few groups filled the room. But a silence had fallen over the Easy Company group. The odds had been set.

Only a Paper Moon [ Band of Brothers ] 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara