𝑰 𝑮𝑶𝑻 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑴𝑼𝑺𝑰𝑪

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

Darlene wished that she was able to vanquish ghosts.

Math was already a subject that loathed her just as much as she despised it. No matter what she did, she always ended up with a barely passing C. It was like the universe was working against her and the boy sitting on an empty desk behind her wasn't proving that she was wrong. She had barely been fifteen minutes into the lecture of pre-calculus before she felt her hair being tugged. Annoyance flared within her causing her to whip around with a dangerous look, surprise melting into her expression as she wasn't exactly expecting to see a beaming Luke. Her eyes nervously flickered around the classroom, seeing most were zoned out or barely paying attention.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed out while ducking her face, letting her hair cover it.

Luke hummed from behind her, "We were bored."

We, she thought with wide eyes as she slowly turned to her right, where she could practically feel the warmth. Rosy cheeks and a goofy smile was on display as Reggie slumped over the seat. Her lips parted as she could see Darren shift uncomfortably in his seat, not realizing a ghost was practically sitting in his lap. It was nice to see that cocky smirk drop as the jock was an asshole to most of the student population.

"Get off of him." Darlene nearly begged even though she couldn't hide the amused smile on her lips.

Reggie raised his hands in defeat and hauled himself out of the quarterbacks lap before leaning his hip against the corner of her desk. Her attention was completely away from math as she kept her wary gaze on Reggie's frame. She opened her mouth to try and kick them out or maybe even try to vanish them like some kind of ghost hunter. She smiled at the idea of getting a portable pack from the ghostbusters movie as a joke.

Fingers drummed on the top of her head, "Why are you smiling so creepily."

"Thinking of getting a proton backpack, you know to vanquish some pesky ghosts —"

A huff of laughter spilled from her lips as Reggie desperately ran his hands over his body. She was moments away from telling him they weren't real before he disappeared, the air shimmering around him before settling once more. Her hand came up to cover her mouth as she tried to stifle the boastful laughter that was threatening to break the zoned out spell of the classroom.

"You're warming up to us —" Luke mumbled with a teasing grin as his head peaked over the bundles of curls, "I think I like that look on you."

Her cheeks flushed and began to turn her head to say something, anything to get him to take back his words. His grin was visible for a few seconds before the air shimmered before settling once more. She blinked at the desk behind her and then at the corner of her own before sighing deeply. Her eyes hazed over the board and the notes on it that still didn't make any more sense than it did last year.